AMD Carrizo Laptops spotted in EU

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Deks, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Here is more proof that AMD is not firing on all cylinders:

See:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/24/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_video_card_review/11#.VYxu-XnbJ9A

While this is a gpu review, it does showcase how AMD cannot help but be directly accountable here... No third party manufacturers. No un-optimized BIOS settings. No 'but look at the low price' to partly defend their execution.

This is just AMD foolishly playing marketing games which may show great and even inspirational ideas on paper, but as the quote above says, no real substance for most users.

Come on AMD, wake up!

I am positive you know how to do things right. Just do it already!

To AMD:
    Use brilliant ideas only if/when they actually help you get a leg up on the competition (today, not 3 or 4 iterations from now). Concentrate your resources and talent to where the most bang for the buck is for both you and your customers. These are not mutually exclusive goals for you today. They are one and the same.

Use (much) more of your resources to educate and collaborate with notebook makers on how to fully use/configure your current and future products (APU's et al.) for maximum benefit for the consumer in an optimized package (yes; that means a focused/specialized chassis - not a one size fits all).

Use common sense of how much increase in performance you introduce in each iteration. A 50% to 100% increase looks great for a very narrow aspect of performance, but doesn't translate well into real world workflows when everything else has been increasing 5% to 30% consistently with compound results over your single (major) iteration vs. your competitors multiple upgrades over the same half decade period.

Remember that performance, efficiency and price are all variables you can use to your advantage:

Offering a product with marginal additional R&D? Drop the price dramatically for this soon to be phased out older tech.

Offer a line with better efficiency (above all else). The performance (and even price) staying equal to last gen's options would still make this sku fly if the efficiency was markedly better or the heat generated was lower than what manufacturers and/or consumers had before from you.

Offer your performance options and you don't need to reach for the gold on your first or even your second or third try. But offer real overall performance (single and multi core performance) that users can did their teeth in to, and price these sku's according to the performance increase offered (not just from yourself, but from all players in the market).

Doing even one of the above right, along with working alongside chassis designers and planners will light a fire in your organization. And your industry too.

You have the tech side down, no doubt. Learn to execute like the fine tuned machine you should be.

2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Oh really now? Please do tell me of a single technology that was released and that was about it. How much was Broadwell delayed by the way? In the end for a mere 5% increase, that most likely only data-centers and servers would benefit anyway. Also most OEMs would likely skip it altogether.

3. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    If you want to poke holes in my musings, it's easy.

Just as easy to see the truth of what I'm saying. Intel's ~5% increases the last few years are equal to whole cpu jumps from mere years back. That is called working on your strengths and minimizing your weaknesses.

AMD is simply doing it wrong (for too long now).

4. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    ..I suppose it would have been an idea to mention that hbao+ has a slight performance increase on nvidia cards over ssao, specially in scenes with many distinct objects (i.e., prime candidate is Witcher 3), and.. that the scene based filters suffer in performance exponentially when you increase the resolution, and so on. While perhaps including a game with TressFX to figure out how that affects power draw, and how that might make the increased bandwidth useful. As well as perhaps pointing out that quite a few of the performance increases at NVIDIA lately have been there thanks to driver optimisations that a very skeptical person might say were long overdue, perhaps even pushed upstream to coincide with certain relaunches of older overhauled cards.

But AMD is not at the top of the game here, of course. Although not necessarily because of bad hardware engineering.. as usual. ;)

5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Yeah, how comes yearly 10 to 20%, maybe more with future updates is doing it wrong? They do have a lot to catch up, but in the mean time Intel does nothing. Actually OK, it does something - tries to improve the iGPU performance. Then again AMD does both better than Intel (I'm not comparing Intel vs AMD performance here, I'm comparing previous vs current generation of each brand). When was the last time we saw 20% increase from Intel? Sandy Bridge, some 4 years ago. The last 4 years the total increase is around that much - 20%. The "mere years back whole CPU jump" is more likely a decade (exaggeration).

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    triturbo, AMD may be improving faster, but their mobile CPU performance is nowhere near Intel quads. Oh, and AMD executives, who are without doubt monitoring this forum, promised to follow tilleroftheearth's invaluable advice and adjust their business strategy accordingly. Yes, every night I dress in tights, cape and hockey armor, and go out fighting stupidity in the streets. They call me Sarcasmo.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    Snarkasmo :p

But not sure AMDs business-strategy is all that unfortunate, compared to their pr-strategy. In the sense you can call avoiding the worst of the normal underhanded embedded blogging and advertisement-driven tech-development unfortunate, at least.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Regarding Fury X results... are people keeping in mind that the GPU was tested on what could very well be unoptimized drivers?
    This was the case in the past before.
    Initial products scored well, but it wasn't until subsequent driver improvements that performance started to reflect what the GPU's could actually do.
    And let's face it, AMD is intentionally releasing drivers less frequently than Nvidia because I don't think they can do it any faster due to lack of finances (so it might be a while before new drivers are released).

Plus, the Fury is actually performing rather well at 4k considering that it was able to close the gap on various Nvidia optimized games (something the 390X cannot do), and its an initial bed test for HBM which radically reduced the size of the GPU and is taking up less space.
    Plus, AMD seems to be using GCN 1.2 which is a relatively old architecture. The performance per watt was also improved quite a bit compared to the 290x/390x, and it has enhanced compute capabilities (which have yet to be tested).

So, is it possible that people who are negative might be focusing on too few aspects that might be less relevant in the short term while overlooking other things?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  9. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    hehe, yes, at least a small possibility of that :D

Still - doesn't change that at every release of any new Nvidia card, AMDs cutting edge competitor is going to look bad (lack of proprietary physics, post processing filters, driver optimisations). And miss out on any momentum with new large game-releases. Even though the actual difference in performance is extremely small.

On the other hand -- it really is mystifying that AMD doesn't just own the middle level of the market, and partner with producers for silent water-cooling, lower power draw variants, etc. While improving the hdmi support, and include some display ports, etc. And finally overhaul their driver package presentation. That's really.. strange, when they already spend so much resources on getting out these top-level cards out. They really shouldn't be doing that, or at the very least not focus on that segment.

10. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    See:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ops-spotted-in-eu.777669/page-2#post-10031387

Don't know if you have read all the posts in this thread?

The above seems pertinent to your statement.

Intel does nothing? Lol... it may look like that to most. But what they are always doing is building on their strengths - and can release a fully realized product from that position as they need to, depending on market (and I'm sure, manufacturing) demands.

The AMD E350 based platform has a PM 'score' of less than 800 points. 5% higher performance (when taking just the CPU into consideration) is already half of an 2011 AMD system (yeah; low end, no doubt).

In the link above you'll see increases much greater than that 5%... 65% is what is stated in the article - when taking the whole platform into account - and, at the same power/TDP rating. And, this is not from AMD's low performance jump point - it is Intel's own Xeon E3s from 2012 (and in spite of all the garbage talk of how Intel has 'sat' on their tech over the last two+ years).

To dismiss how important year to year 'mere' 5% increases bring to the table is missing the impact cumulative increases make.

The 'time value of money' idea is based on the same (mathematical) principles. A single immense increase can bring things to par (Intel, circa 2006 vs. AMD) but even a slow but steady cumulative increase is much more powerful and insidious over time. Especially for the competitors.

AMD doesn't need to figure out what to do. It needs to copy (Intel).

I am not under the illusion that AMD would listen to me in any way. However, the things I pointed out are blatantly obvious and things they can do themselves, today. And yet they still don't.

With regards to the drivers being un-optimized... uh...

If I sell you a service and can somehow convince you to buy it, but then mention that 'oh, by the way', I'll be able to deliver 100% of what I promised after you pay me for a few months/years so that I can learn more about it... I'd be shot point blank. Or at the very least, I'd be starving until what I promised is what I actually delivered to each client.

My post covered most of AMD's shortcomings, but lack of resources isn't one of them. Lack of focus is.

And my suggestions were not meant to show my intelligence - rather, show how wrong the path AMD is following is... that even a middle school student can see from a mile away and score an A+ on that topic (a client's grandson...).

A product on offer needs to be complete, not offered with excuses.

This is not the first time AMD is in this boat - but the reason the water is rising above them is all their doing (100%).

Starlight5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.