AMD Carrizo Laptops spotted in EU

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Deks, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Old Core i5 still blows the doors off of the best current AMD mobile offerings performance wise. AMD's best is capable of roughly Core i3 and needing to use 4 cores at that. Behind the curve. Slower than your Core i5. To get more AMD installed in better machines, it will require the same or better battery efficiency and PERFORMANCE to back it up. N'yet. AMD is still at least two-three generations behind. And it will take totally new, rationally designed architecture to make it happen. APU is not that architecture.

2. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    TomJGX likes this.
  3. Assembler

Assembler Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There is a pre-sales event for the Y700-15ACZ here in china, Suning (one of the largest retailer) are selling the first batch since mid september. Only one (base) model is available with FX-8800P / 8 GB RAM (2x4 GB) / Radeon R9 M385X 4GB GDDR5 / 1 TB HDD / Windows 8.1 (x64). Here the link:

http://product.suning.com/132798160.html

Actually i wanted to check some professional reviews first, but i couldn't wait anymore and bought it. My first machine arrived last week already, but it would not boot up so i had to wait for an replacement until now. Just finished upgrading the RAM with 16 GB Kingston HyperX Impact (1600, CL9) and adding my brand new M.2 SSD (Plextor 512GB M6GV).

Some important infos:

- The FX is definitely configured >15W cTDP, as it is holding the maximum turbo (3,39 GHz) in single / multi core benchmarks.
    - The display is not as bad as i thought it will be (LG LP156WF6-SPK1), seems like a never revision of the FHD IPS screen found in the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro.

Cinebench R15 screen

cinebenchR15-fx-8800P.PNG

I will write a detailed review in a new thread tonight / this weekend, first i have to reinstall everything on the SSD.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Link4, Starlight5, Apollo13 and 2 others like this.
  4. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Beautiful! I kind of wish you would've bought 16GB DDR3L 1.35V 2133 MHz RAM as that's what the MC can handle and would run at maximum. Regardless, I'm excited to read your review, sounds great!

So the CPU doesn't throttle down the GHz in benches like 15W Carrizo? I remember it will throttle down to 1.1 GHz and the iGPU down to like 500 MHz instead of the 800 MHz max. Can you test the APU by itself by disabling the dGPU too?

Thanks,
    Dave

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

5. Assembler

Reputations:
    I was considering to buy the 2133 MHz RAM but i was afraid the BIOS will not support it. I didn't ran much GPU related benchmarks yet, as there are a lot "power saving" settings in the Lenovo utilities and to be honest, my chinese ist not that well to find the correct settings.

If you take the A10-8700P as a reference the CPU should not be able to use its maximum turbo @15W cTDP when all cores are used.

6. Assembler

Reputations:
    I just finished my review, you can check it out here.

triturbo and davidricardo86 like this.
  7. Assembler

Reputations:
    If you considered to buy the Lenovo Y700 after reading my review, you should check out my updated version.

8. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    MicrosoftStore now has a Dell Inspiron 15 i5555 with A10-8700P (Carrizo) in their "Signature Edition" configuration (no bloatware, virtualization enabled [shown in task manager performance tab], etc.).
    Some physical microsoftstores may have a model with an FHD 1920×1080 TN screen;
    when I looked the microsoftstore website only lists HD 1366×768.

(Does virtualization enabled mean the IOMMU is also enabled, as I think is needed for HSA?
    Lenovo laptops provide an option to enable virtualization in the BIOS, labeled 'SVM' I think, for something like 'secure virtual machine', but I don't know if that enables the IOMMU.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.