AMD C-50 CPU and 6250 GPU performance(Acer 522 review)

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Shadowfate, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    illustrates why MS continues to lose marketshare.
    its free on android.... works awfully smoothly on tegra 3, OMAP, etc SoC's

2. krishna

krishna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    amd releases 13.1 driver , really cool and smooth

3. Helios22

Helios22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I found 13.2 beta 4 to work quite nicely, I only play Dota 1 and yet it plays more smoothly than it did before.

I still find that Vimeo HD lags though =/

4. Mysticales

Mysticales Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. Finally have a new reason to see whats up around these parts heh. Anyways just got my Acer Aspire One from AT&T with its C-50. Which I know the C60 is better, however the att model least has the sim card hardware. (Which is nice) Upgraded it to 4GB ram too.

So anyways, been hearing about these placebo effects to take it to 4 ghz (which I already know is a false reading and doesnt do anything) Then I am hearing about k10stat which seems no one has really proven that it doesnt help performance any? Is this correct?

Anyways I am wondering if anyone found any good tweaks to increase FPS rates in some games any? Now I will admit, this lil netbook has surprised me. It plays FFXI pretty well. I just wouldnt mind some extra fps from it heh. Also I have noticed, upgrading from windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro seems to help this netbook respond abit better too. Which is good. =)

5. raydabruce

raydabruce Notebook Carnivore

Reputations:
    Anyone tried putting a Broadcom BCM70015 into one of these 522s? Just wondering if it would improve gaming as well as video performance. It goes into the slot where your wi-fi card is and, apparently, takes most of the decoding load off the GPU which then only has to do the page flipping, pixel shuffling, etc. A friend of mine tried one of these on an older Intel Atom netbook and he was amazed at the increase in video performance. Link below:

BCM970015 Broadcom Video/Audio Hardware Decoder Accelerator Crystal HD PCI Express mini card Hardware Decoder

If you read the comments on that item you'll see that it seems to work well in some netbooks... especially when you use a player that does not come with its own codecs (VLC does) but rather uses the included Windows 7 codecs..

6. Mysticales

Reputations:
    Looks nice, but does seem like its for videos more then it would be for gaming. (Unless the game had a pre-rendered video for playback)
    Now I know on my other netbook, Id love to have been able to see 720p and up easier. Thing is, on that one, I think I used that free slot for my bluetooth, so dont think I have room now for this heh. Then in my current netbook, the slot is for my 4G modem.

However nice find! I never knew they existed!

7. raydabruce

raydabruce Notebook Carnivore

Reputations:
    I'm going to order one in a couple months when I have some extra money to spend. I'll report back to see if it really does boost video and gaming performance. But I think you're probably right about it being primarily for video and audio decoding and would not help games very much, if at all.

I'm surprised to see that this thread is still alive. My Acer 522 is two years old but still runs great. It looks like they are getting hard to find (got mine from a neighbor).

8. Mysticales

Reputations:
    Hey, just curious, anyone know if you can upgrade the CPU from C-50 to a C60?

9. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    standard answer: use search.:hi2:

10. Mysticales

Reputations:
    Well my 1st thought is no like normal, but never know if someone figured something else out. Besides, search even on google doesnt yield too much about it. Always try that before a post. =p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.