***AMD Beta Driver Release***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by steviejones133, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IntenseIGFX

IntenseIGFX Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So in the future, just uninstall the CCC program + the app profiles, reboot into safe mode and do the driver sweeper, boot again and do cccleaner, boot into windows and install new drivers? Don't touch device manager?

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    ^^^Correct-a-moondo :)

3. lnoton

lnoton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tend not to class the efforts I sometimes have to go through as a problem, as drivers in windows are terrible in generral...and ATI don't help matters unlike some hardware vendors.

In general I uninstall app profiles, then ATI CCC from program files. This removes the driver. I then reboot as normal , and uninstall the driver from device manager as windows will sometimes install one, then reboot and run driver sweeper. No need for safe mode anymore as files are not placed in protected locations. At least from my experience.

I then install the new driver.

I then never have a problem. Although I only install beta and official drivers, some underground drivers have not go through some of standard QA stages and can end up providing headaches which ultimatly involve reinstalling your OS.

4. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

That's what I was referring to earlier. To avoid having windows "update your driver for you", simply type "change device installations settings" into the start/search box (without quotes) and change the setting to:

"No, let me choose what to do"

and then select:

"Never install driver software from windows update"

This will ensure that when you reboot, you wont get windows "trying" to update drivers when you dont want it to.

5. Stealth55

Stealth55 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes a software called Orca. If you'd like pm me you ID' from your card (might be diff then my clevos 6990) ill add them to this dell beta driver and upload on a share site for you i guarantee everything will install.

6. IntenseIGFX

IntenseIGFX Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm, that may be interesting. Does the dell driver work with the CAP profiles? Also, if I have the 11.12 beta working well, is there any real reason to do the dell drivers?

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Nope, not necessarily... the best driver is always the one that works best. If Catalyst 11.12 is making you happy I would stick with what works for you.

Yes, the CAP profiles will work with the Dell-tweaked AMD drivers.

8. Stealth55

Reputations:
    Dells beta is much better then 11.12 imo with clevos 6990's on m17x r2

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That's good to hear, Stealth55. It definitely seems to work good on the M18x. Can you elaborate on what makes it better in your experience. Hearing why you feel that way may nudge some readers off the fence once they know why and how they will benefit and should use the Dell drivers instead of AMD reference drivers.

10. Stealth55

Reputations:
    It just performs simply amazing on bf3 just have to keep a eye on your cpu temps or else some stutter will occur when the cpu throttles because of high temps. Skyrim also plays just as amazing but with that atidag.dll file on its folder. The difference with dells driver on my r2 compared to the amd/ati's drivers came to me rly obvious its just it THE DRIVER ( its better then ati's). It Totally craps on ATI considering it's their own card and cant get it to work how its suppose to. Do Lamborgini govern their cars to 80 like a school bus? No but ATI do with there bad driverz. Only thing dell needs is a brightness fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.