1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

AMD 7970m vs GTX 680m

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by x32993x, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. long2905

long2905 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    how is the temperature? idle and load? its okay if you are tired now. We can wait until tomorrow.

2. HeavenCry

HeavenCry Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How are the temps if you dont mind sharing that too?

EDIT: Ah beat me to it :p.

3. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i ran furmark for 10 mins earlier...67-68c

I ran it again for 2mins just to give you the proof ;)

[​IMG]

4. lastshady

lastshady Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    we should let him rest a little bit i think :)

This is so great!!. We know that it will work on m17 r2 before the 7970m even is out fantastic . I think waiting for 7990m is going to be a hard time, looks like i must grab a 7970m as fast as possible.

The question is for me right now if my i7 920xm@3,2 i good enough for a possible 7970 X-fire?

5. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ^^^ LOL...yes good idea. Enough for one nite.

6. Star Forge

Star Forge Quaggan's Creed Redux!

Reputations:
    That is amazing! The 7970M looks like it can be around the levels of a GTX 570! I am very impressed... However, I doubt it was cheap to acquire though! :p

7. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hehehehe, i tried to tell people, all that lovely memory bandwidth.

8. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Yeah don't expect something until August/September.. not worth waiting in my opinion. I'm settling for the 7970M it looks insane... :)

9. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    68 celsius max is pretty good. Desktop 7870 is a lot cooler than 6870, about 10 degree celsius lower when on load, so AMD have done an amazing job :)

10. SlickDragon

SlickDragon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes Victory has been achieved once again, no more can the naysayers and deniers spout their propaganda with the light of truth blinding them. Slick The Deliverer has put the mediocre and egregiously overpriced 580m/675m throttler, the powerhogging gtx 480, the laughable 560ti, the overrated 570, and especially the imaginary non-existent, 3 month late to the party, underperforming, +++100tdp, +2x price 680m into their coffins. When the 7970m overclocks, it will make known the final stamp of doom and deliverance, and even the 580 will tremble in its wake. All this at insanely cheap prices (lol + $200 upgrade), with incredible unprecedented temperatures and energy consumption, AND ITS AVAILABLE NOW.

Long live the True Elite Mobile King 7970m.

11. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I know I don't really need to upgrade for another year, but that makes me want to upgrade anyway. That's a really sweet mobile card. But I couldn't come up with the proper cash till xmas ...so I guess I'm waiting for the 8970m anyway.

12. HeavenCry

HeavenCry Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Oh god... MUST HAVE!
    Thanks for the benches and temp readings :).
    This has made up my mind. Already wrote to NEXOC to change my order. Maby ill even get some cash back if the 675M is really more expensive :D.

13. HSN21

HSN21 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For those who need to compare it to desktop cards

7870-580 desktop cards perform about the same
    7970m = 7870 desktop with small downclock, so in a sense overclocking it lets you reach 580 DESKTOP speed or even passing it if heavily overclocked

Considering how cool 7970m runs (under 70C furmark benchmark, overclocking it wont be an issue really)

14. King of Interns

King of Interns C90 Deity

Reputations:
    The tables turned back in 2006 with the introduction of the 8800GTX now 6 years later AMD have finally come back to bite if not in the desktop sector than certainly in the mobile sector.

Nvidia are going to have to chop their prices quite aggressively if their cards no longer perform better... for me this card is the only upgrade as another 100W TDP card isn't acceptable for the M15x or any laptop. The card looks to be about 80W tdp which is amazing considering the performance!

15. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Yes, I think its sick that AMD is selling this GPU $100 below 675M. They could easily have charged $100 more and still sell this GPU like hotcakes. You`d be a fool to even consider the 675M. Oh well, I guess we have brand loyal fans that don`t really consider AMD as an option. Its a shame

But question: You say that the TDP is 80W. How do you calculate/know that?

16. Deks

Deks Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    With more and more professional programs supporting OpenCL, I would easily go with 7970m (of course I might wait another year or so before getting a new laptop though).

Besides, AMD was able to keep its compute power in balance with gaming performance and even increase it, while Nvidia severely cut off compute performance in their latest gpu's just so they can get marginally better than AMD in gaming performance in the desktop sector.

Aside that, the only reason I was contemplating Nvidia was due to CUDA use in 3dsMAx... but with other options at my disposal that can use AMD's gpus (and with an apparent higher adoption of OpenCL)... you should ge the picture.

Now if only we can finally get them to use diamond/graphene for chip production...

17. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    I agree. nVIDIA is selling their throne. And as stated before, if not the desktop market, it's surely the mobile market. They took the advantage they had for granted, I surely hope that the 680M will have some kind of perception or advantage.... if the 7970M is slaughtering the current leaks of the 680M, I wouldn't imagine what the 7990M would be capable of doing!!

18. King of Interns

King of Interns C90 Deity

Reputations:
    Based on the temp tests in furmark at stock clocks in that it seems to run cooler than even my 6990M when it is undervolted at stock clocks I am assuming the tdp to be a tad under 100Wtdp.

I don't think 80W tdp is accurate but I think within 10W+- is certainly possible and I hope so as in my opinion the 6990M at 100W tdp is too hot.

AMD are in a great position. Nvidia will now react and release the 680M probably with performance to match the 7970M and try to eliminate their problems before doing so in terms of heat etc however AMD can then simply put out the 7990M afterwards and destroy the 680M and keep an iron grip on the mobile market :D By the time nvidia reacts AMD will be onto the next 8xxx series, competition is great!

19. Meaker

Meaker Company Representative

Reputations:
    I don't for a second believe the 680M is scoring 4500 myself.

20. Vergeofinsanity81

Vergeofinsanity81 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe a noob question but, I thought the 7970 wont get released till later in the month? How is it possible to get these benchmarks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.