1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Amazon Third Party Sellers - How Safe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Voodooi, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    So there's a guy on there with a few 5 star ratings that is offering a MacBook Air 60% less than its going rate as "brand-new, opened never used".

Too good to be true?

I e-mailed him and he told me the box was open but the MacBook Air was never turned on or used and comes with a 1 year warranty.

2. icehell

icehell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Link bitte!

3. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Generally you should look at their amazon feedback profile and see how many transactions they've had and if they have any complaints that make sense - not something stupid like "I don't like the item," but actual grievances.

If they have no real history, you have to rely on trust and Amazon's A-Z guarantee. This covers purchases from third party sellers on Amazon. You can read about it here: Amazon.com Help: A-to-z Guarantee Protection

In general, sellers are required to accept returns, and there is a heavy bias in favor of the buyer. If you can, purchase with a credit card so that you have an extra layer of protection should something go wrong.

There's also the general wisdom "if it's too good to be true..."

Not to say there aren't deals aren't out there.

4. jakej

jakej Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There was a 32Gb 4th gen Ipod touch on Amazon one day in like-new condition for 200$ about 66% of the retail, a friend bought it and it was exactly as described and a killer deal.

Sometimes things really are just a good deal, other times they're scams. Amazon is really good at helping buyers in the case of a scam or wrongly defined items too.

5. crash

crash NBR Assassin Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've never had an issue with third party sellers on Amazon, although I usually buy textbooks from them and pick the ones with many reviews within the past few months.

As others have indicated, if the seller has a decent amount of reviews and they seem relatively intelligent ones, it's probably ok. Also, Amazon has good buyer protection. Still, I would purchase with a credit card just to be safe.

6. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    I appreciate all your posts, guys. You've given me confidence to buy "too good to be true" priced items.

MBA, here I come!

@ALLurGroceries
    I didn't know about that Guarantee Protection that Amazon has =D Thanks for the link.

---

Edit: Fail! I shouldn't of posted what kind of laptop it was in my first post because someone bought it 30 minutes later! Ah well, my fault :p

7. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    -> To be honest, I'd actually look at the ratings and only trust new sellers with very small items (5 Pounds CDs for example)

If anything, it'll reduce your worrying.

8. jakej

jakej Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Keep looking, you're bound to find someone just wanting to get rid of one quick and make some cash, thus equaling big discount for you.

9. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's cool man, just gives you some time to read about the rumored MBP refresh. :D

Save up for one of those instead, I'm sure somebody will have an open box one shortly after release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.