Am I Crazy? Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by larissa07, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larissa07

larissa07 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone

I'm in the market for a new laptop. Now I've looked at numerous machines but keep coming back to the Alienware 15". I love the speed, the physical design, the graphics, the comfort of the keyboard, the two hard drives, and also the ability to customise the lights is a huge bonus! (yes I'm girly)

The problem is... I'm not a gamer.. at all! I do like to do a lot of photo and video editing though, which my current laptop cannot handle.

My question is - am I crazy for buying a gaming laptop when I won't use it for gaming? Who knows, I may get into it, but I also may not.

My requirements if that helps:

Requirements:
    - 128GB SSD (minimum) + 1TB HD
    - 15"
    - i5 or i7
    - Fast and capable enough to handle image and video editing
    - Camera at the top of the screen (not at the bottom like the Dell XPS!)
    - Comfortable keyboard
    - Ability to last a long time
    - Weight and battery life are not big issues as the machine won't move around much
    - Do not want a glossy screen

2. penguinslider

penguinslider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Depends on what programs that you are planning to use but you are not crazy for considering a gaming laptop for multimedia creation. A config like the GTX the 1060 GPU coupled with a 6700HQ i7 will make your work easier. Also, the FHD panels have good color coverage and refresh rates which are good for video work as well.

The only other machine that I can think of that can match your needs, particularly the non-glossy screen is the Dell Precision series, particularly the 7510. Its basically like the Alienware 15" without the lights and the latest gen 10XX series GPU.

3. larissa07

larissa07 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for your response! I was actually thinking about upgrading the display on the Alienware from FHD to UHD. What are your thoughts on that?

The Dell Precision looks great also, I will look into that.

4. penguinslider

Reputations:
    Interesting, the new Alienware 15" don't offer the UHD, at least at this time. The only other screen you can get is a higher end FHD (1920 x 1080) panel. Only the 17" model has UHD offered.

Aside from increase in pixel count, is there a particular reason why you would want UHD? It taxes your GPU more, messes up the scaling of older programs, costs more and will consume more battery. For me, the only reason why you would want a UHD panel in something as small as a 15" laptop is for the high percentage of Adobe RGB coverage or color accuracy that goes with it. I say, only shoot for a UHD screen if you know how to use or if you know how it will help with your work.

Also, the current Alienware 15s that you are seeing on the Dell website are the new models for 2017. Unless you are really desperate to buy, I would wait first for some reviews to come out.

5. larissa07

larissa07 Newbie

Reputations:
    This is the model I'm looking at:
    http://www.dell.com/au/p/alienware-15-laptop/pd?oc=a5115a2au&model_id=alienware-15-laptop

It lists the 2 options for the screen as:
    - FHD (1920 x 1080) 120Hz, Anti-Glare 400-nits Display W/ G-Sync
    - UHD (3840 x 2160) IGZO IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display (Only $90 extra)

I was originally looking at the FHD option but then read somewhere that the colours / display would be a lot better / brighter with the UHD option. I didn't know that it would mess up the scaling with older programs though. Do you think it's a waste?

6. penguinslider

Reputations:
    That's interesting, you g
    Interesting, the Australian Dell website has more options for display. I was assuming that you were purchasing in the US.

Depending on your actual use, UHD might be overkill but it is nice to have if you don't mind the added cost and if you don't mind the other disadvantages like less battery life, increase system tax etc, possible scaling issues. Particularly, the higher AdobeRGB coverage might be useful for you but again, you will need to know how to use it to take advantage of it.

Regarding scaling, this article gives a nice overview. You might want to check if the programs that you plan to use will be able to hand 4k resolution:
    https://pcmonitors.info/articles/the-4k-uhd-3840-x-2160-experience/

7. larissa07

larissa07 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much, you have been incredibly helpful!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.