1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Altec Lansing or Dolby Home Theater built in speakers?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Juppy, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juppy

Juppy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was looking around in my local hardware shop and I noticed a 16" laptop with Altec Lansing built in speakers and it looks the same as my Dolby Home Theater speakers from my Acer 6930Z. As I was in a hurry, I didn't had time to look at it or even the model of the laptop.All I know is that its from Compaq. Does anybody know which speaker is better? Just curious since I have an Altec Lansing desktop speaker myself.

2. grbac

grbac Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i would say Altec Lansing is better.

3. jackluo923

jackluo923 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    99.999% of the time, laptop speakers suck.
    If you want better sound, just get external speakers. Don't let the built in speaker be the deciding factor for purchasing a laptop.

4. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    The harman/kardon speakers on my toshiba P300 are SWEET.

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A note about 'brand name' speakers in notebooks - they are not all the same, even if they are the same brand. For example, the Altec Lansing speakers on my HP dv5t are FAR better relative to the Altec Lansings in ASUS notebooks like the M50VM and G50V.

So, you would need to find out what the brand/model of the laptop is to determine which speakers are better.

6. fattail95

fattail95 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i would say altec lansing

thanks!

7. stevezachtech

stevezachtech Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    External speakers are way much better if ask most people if you want a good sound system equivalent to that of a home theater and at the same time safer for your computer... You wouldn't want a huge amount of Decibels to shake up your laptop from the inside now would you?

8. gothicaleigh

gothicaleigh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe Dolby Home Theater refers to support for that format, not a brand of speaker. My W90Vp included Altec Lansing speakers and was badged for Dolby Home Theater (it carried both labels). Dolby is a format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.