alpha/beta browser war (not really)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by qhn, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    Minefield - build 20090501045247:
    - a sign of relief: so far, no more crash and "embarrassing messages" :D

FF 3.5beta4:
    - extensions need to be updated.

cheers ...

2. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Your thoughts on Chromium qhn? I find it better than Minefield in a number of ways but lacking in some site compatibility [source] and the keylogging of the Omnibar is uncool. The linux builds are really coming along nicely though.

3. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    Thanks for reviving the thread Calvin ;-)

There are currently so many up to date (and good) threads on Chrome that I tend to forget about this one (Chromium).

Chromium is cool, but the issues with private information constantly being spied on do not appeal me and to consider it as a tester just yet. It is also quite new, I need to restart my Linux box for this.

You have no issue so far on the Linux side? I am digging out my old HP and will install Chromium in Windows sometimes this week end.

cheers ...

4. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well Chrome and Chromium as basically the same thing. Chrome is just the Google branded version, Chromium is the nightly builds that are unofficial and have new features being added all the time. There's SWare Iron but it just isn't as authentic feeling. On Ubuntu it's doing fine, and with a little work flash can work on it too. Everything but the true tabs on top is working on the linux builds.

5. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    So, how do you compare Minefield builds with Chromium builds so far? As far as change logs documentation and known issues?

cheers ...

6. Gintoki

Gintoki Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well I don't think you can really compare Minefield with Chromium. They're two different approaches. Minefield is attempting to be a powerful and fully featured web browser that admittedly has some bloat and has a lot to work on. Chromium is a light-weight "web app", not really a web browser. It's minimal interface that stays out of my way when I don't need it and is pulled up when I require is my cup of tea. This is easily illustrated by their difference in engine choice, Mozilla went with Gecko and Google went with Webkit.

7. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    As in one of my previous posts in the thread, Google is taking the best (?) of Mozilla and Apple in building its Chrome browser. I have reservation about the lightweight claim of Google Chrome just yet, as it starts adding configuration options.

cheers ...

8. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Off-topic necroposting, a new sport, or what?

9. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    Off-topic :confused:

The whole thread involves discussion of alpha/beta browsers. Chromium, being nightly-built version, is considered alpha/beta by many users. I fail to see the off-topic remark here.

The thread was being non-relevant for a while after Opera, Safari and IE dropped out of the beta game (not really). They just don't label their version as such anymore. Chrome is kinda hard to pinpoint playing between v2 and v3.

Might be interesting now if Chromium sticks to its plan with the nightly builds.

cheers ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.