alpha/beta browser war (not really)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by qhn, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    ;-)

This is consistent wth previous strategy, that (I hope soon) we will see 4 on the way, with 3.6 a backing up of 3.5xxx until it is stable. In between versions so to speak :D

cheers ...

2. Matt

Matt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's true. I've read (on MozillaZine and on several developers' blogs) that 4.0 is just a distant "idea." No one is entirely sure what new features it will bring (other than Weave and Prism integration). For now, the focus is on 3.* versions, which is odd because I remember reading quite a few articles about 4.0 right after 3.0 was released last June.

3. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    Firefox 4 is in the mind of Mozilla for quite a long time. They just need more times to revamp/nail down the model of the new product, taking in consideration of many new web tools (Prism, HTML5, Weave - already in 3x, to state a few) that have been developped and made available.

It will not be an evolution so to speak, but a different model?

cheers ...

4. Matt

Matt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not a evolution, but a revolution? ;)

3.0 was definitely a evolutionary release, and 3.5 will be as well. 4.0 might be a bit different, though, as I've heard a lot more "desktop integration" is going to be included (a reference, I'm sure, to Prism).

5. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    Perfect saying.

extract from Chris Beard, VP Labs, Mozilla (Credit: Rafe Needleman):

"Prism is Mozilla's shot at busting apps out of the browser. Part of the Prism project is making the browsing core available to apps developers so they can build products like Zimbra Desktop (review) that are essentially Web apps, but that don't look like it.

The dream is to be able to take any Web site or app and turn it into an app that can run directly from the desktop. A very big part of this initiative is to make sites/apps work when they are not connected to the Internet. HTML 5 (the next version of the basic standard for the encoding of Web sites) includes explicit support for local, offline resources.

HTML 5 and Prism will, Mozilla execs say, render Google Gears obsolete. Not to mention other important, and proprietary, Web app platforms that are already in production, like Adobe AIR and Microsoft Silverlight (What is Silverlight?). "

Browser users will be in for a treat.

cheers ...

6. Matt

Matt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's pretty sweet. I use Prism for Gmail and it's fantastic.

7. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    Exactly. And Mozilla's (and other browsers for sure) goal is to collect the tools out there, to integrate them into a well built and rounded browser.

I am excited for the web users.

cheers ...

8. Matt

Matt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If anyone wants a good laugh, they should read this article. The author of it should be ashamed of his ignorance. He's comparing alpha builds of Chrome to stable builds of Firefox (3.0.*) as far as speed goes. Enjoy that comedy. ;)

9. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    . Gran Paradiso at 3.0.9pre - fast rendering, eyes pleasing windows.

. Looking like tha Firefox is about to get another update real soon, after today's 3.0.8

cheers ...

10. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    Shiretoko 3.5b5pre, since yesterday's build, has the tendency to hang wireless connections if system being left unattended for longer than a few hours.

I thought it was a fluke, but was able to reproduce it on XP and W7.

Any one else?

cheers ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.