alpha/beta browser war (not really)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by qhn, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just an update on Firefox...

Mozilla has announced that "due to the increased scope" of the next version of Firefox, it has decided to make the next Firefox version 3.5, not 3.1.

2. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
  3. Matt

Matt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, they're not so much bypassing it as they are renaming it. It is still on schedule to release sometime this spring.

4. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    Minus addons and extensions, Safari 4 is leading the pack in many areas at the moment :D

But I am excited with FF and IE lurking in the corridor at the moment.

Users win!

cheers ...

5. Matt

Matt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not on Windows, and if you're not winning on Windows, you're not winning at all. :p

6. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
  7. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    . Minefield at 3.6a1pre :D ; the marching is ongoing. Rendering is a bit doggy (jerky and slow) on some sites (NBR is one)

cheers ...

8. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    I don't know, the January 29th 3.2 alpha (it appears 3.2 is 3.6 now) seems lightning fast to me, including on NBR. Definitely the fastest browser I've ever tried, both in the 32-bit and 64-bit varieties, and on both XP and Windows 7. Although just now when I hit Quote on your post the Message box didn't appear the first time, but it seems to now. Maybe it rendered it before it arrived over the Internet. So perhaps it's not quite 100% on accuracy, but I must disagree heartily on slow, and I wouldn't say jerky, either. Rather, it seems very fast. Scroll speed is a bit slow compared to what I'm used to with Opera, but it's still better than Safari, and I think that's a setting, not it not being able to do it faster.

Of course, this could very well be the differences in the trunk builds. The March 5th one didn't want to start for me for some reason after I installed it. January 29th seems like a winner, though.

If I could customize my shortcuts, I might actually use Firefox 3.2 a decent amount. I have no idea why most browsers don't make that easy to customize :confused:. As it is now, any increase in rendering speed over Opera 10 Alpha (which is also very fast, though not quite as quick) is canceled out by not having Opera's time-saving features and shortcuts. And Opera 10 alpha seems just a bit more polished than the average FF 3.2/3.6 trunk build at this point - probably the result of it being the only alpha and thus receiving a bit more TLC to ensure it looked good.

9. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    Can't say much about 3.2/3.3 - I am working mostly with Minefield 3.6a1pre.

To clarify with NBR issues:
    . Happened after yesterday's forum's update/upgrade
    . Page would come up fast
    . When scrolling page -> jerky and slow.

cheers ...

10. Matt

Matt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is no 3.2 or 3.3. There was a 3.1, which became 3.5, and a 3.2, which became 3.6. I'm surprised they are still planning on doing 3.6. I assumed they would begin work on 4.0 after 3.5 was out the door.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.