All Things Android - Apps, Phones, Tablets - Discussion

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by H.A.L. 9000, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That setting should force the page to start out at furthest page view possible. Unfortunately I can't help you further as I am currently tied with this BLU handset.

...Every once in a while you come across something so unrelentingly bad you just have to experience it all the way. PortableDigest is about to get a very colorful, pessimistic handset review this evening.

[​IMG]

2. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's fine, thanks for the help!

3. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm back to the RAZR, and that setting in Chrome forced the web page view to show the entire page on initial load. You may want to try that, and see if other alternative browsers offer the same features if Chrome isn't your thing.

The review on the Quattro if anyone's interested: Review: BLU Quattro 4.5 HD |

I don't know which factor impacted me more, actually spending $350 on that thing or finding something worse than the One X+.

4. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ouch, it seems like, physically, it's ok yet generic. If the software was better optimized...i suspect you'd have a different story to tell. :/

5. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
  6. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Correct, this is a perfect example of a manufacturer that bases its selling points on looks and specification numbers alone. The software truly felt like an afterthought, and I've used enough mainstream Tegra 3 devices to know that it should not perform this bad. I'm not exaggerating at all when I mentioned it lags everywhere. I had to run a 3D benchmark to make sure the Tegra 3 GPU drivers weren't missing; it really gives you an impression that you're running on some middle school kid's first attempt at ROM cooking.

The camera software really intrigues me, because in all previous touchscreen devices I've used, I have never seen one attempt to refocus and do last split-second ISO level adjustment before actually taking the picture when selecting a point of focus in the viewfinder and tapping the shutter button. You literally need to take two or three pictures of a scene to have a chance at getting a passable image.

7. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    ^It makes me wonder if the CPU power profiles aren't screwed up in the kernel, because it sounds like it's over-scheduling the companion core. But then you said it has horrible battery life and that sounds like it's having an issue picking which frequency step to keep the other cores at causing some serious battery drain for no apparent reason.

Power profiles just sound screwed in general.

8. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's a good point. The device performed okay in full load situations like gaming or benchmarks, but outside of it seems to really do poorly. This is BLU's first Tegra 3 device as well, so chances of them not being able to get the processor load away from the application core appropriately seems likely possible. Is there a tool that provides a screen overlay for the Tegra 3's core loads? The power management profiles built into the ROM doesn't seem to do affect anything.

9. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    So I am looking for an unlocked Sprint Android smartphone under 100 for a friend. Is the Nexus S/Galaxy S my best bet?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

10. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Maybe you can con someone out of their S2 for that price? You're capable of it. :thumbsup:

ps: If it's Sprint then it's CDMA, ergo not really unlocked, no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.