All Things Android - Apps, Phones, Tablets - Discussion

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by H.A.L. 9000, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Yeah, but that bashes Google's argument that it was too expensive to put an LTE radio in the Nexus 4.

2. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't recall Google stating a LTE radio is too expensive to put in the Nexus 4, but if they did, that would not make any sense because Qualcomm's MDM9215 is part of the SoC specifications to the APQ8064, which means anything with a Snapdragon S4 Pro has that modem built-in to it. I suspect this has to do more with FCC related regulation cost and politics, but a RF engineer will have to verify that.

3. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
  4. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So basically, because they want to keep cost low, they don't want to customize different models for LTE.

I understand that, but why not sell the customized LTE ones as subsidized only to recoup costs? The article mentions carrier customizations as a hurdle yet the iPhone is fairly consistent between carriers.

It's okay... no SD card is also a reason to skip the Nexus line (yeah... I said it).

5. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Google and LG are no Apple. Apple has clout that no other device maker can touch, hence their (still amazing IMO) ability to get iOS devices onto the US networks without carrier added software and updates pushed without carrier interference.

It's not just about lowering costs. One big reason why Nexus 4 isn't on LTE is because of the testing and software update delays that the carriers would put such a device through. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is still behind on updates.

6. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Perhaps, but HSPA+ drains battery slower, I'm used to how fast I can use up a data plan with HSPA, plus it's literally everywhere now.

FCC certification, RF studies for all the LTE bands, and then carrier certification would run the price WAYYYYY on up there.

7. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Oppo Find 5 review: Oppo-lent screen - GSMArena.com
    Oppo Find 5 Review

The Find 5 ended up being a pretty good phone overall, but it should have left the gates back in December well before all these other ~5" phones were announced. Three months later after its announcement, it's still not out and with the Xperia Z/ZL's release looming just around the corner, this phone's going to be end up forgotten.

Good device, poor timeline execution.

8. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I need you guys expertise on this one! Many of you know I have been using my galaxy S3 as a laptop replacement. However, one thing that bothers me alot is how the android browser(s) zoom into the entire webpage with no way to change the scaling. In other words, the I can not under zoom to show more of the web page, everything alway fills the screen. This doesn't change even when DPI is set really low, I think it has something to do with how webview is set up.

I noticed that Engadget.com automatically scales their webpage correctly, so it's not zoomed in all the way (visit engadget.com on your phone with desktop User Agent and you will see what I mean).

My question is, it looks like they are using some kind of viewport option to scale their webpage, is there anyway to extend the script to all webpages with javascript or greasemonkey like feature?

9. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you are using Chrome, enable the option 'Force Enable Zoom' under Accessibility. Other browsers may have similar settings.

10. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks! but can I zoom out?if I remember correctly, force enable zoom was intended for website that disable user zoom options. It only allows you to zoom in but not out of the overview (if that makes sense). You know how in firefox you can hold down Control plus using the scroll wheel to rescale the webpage to make it smaller, that's the effect I am going for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.