All Things Android - Apps, Phones, Tablets - Discussion

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by H.A.L. 9000, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I was mad when I found out on my old phone the notification bar was a T-Mobile thing, I can't find anything like it.

I don't feel any difference doing the OTA update from 4.1 to 4.2.

Anyone's Nexus 4 get really hot? Even sustained usage on mine, mine doesn't get really hot.

2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm still using 2.3. Be happy you get 4 anything :p

/glares in MotoFail's general direction....

3. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am actually using my galaxy S3 as a laptop replacement right now with Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. So far everything works very well! Besides the obvious android limitation of course:

1. No external monitor support (MHL does mirroring, so the phone's screen stays on)
    2. No real resolution settings (UIs are scaled using DPI settings.value)

I heard the above problems might be solve in Jelly Bean 4.2! From the change log, there are official platform support external monitors. Any one with a 4.2 Galaxy Nexus able to test this out? Is there even a setting for it at all? If I can just turn off my screen to reduce some heat and lag from screen mirroring, then everything is perfect! The nerd within me is really showing...

4. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    I would check out this XDA Developers thread... :)

5. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks! :) I know about this App already, and is very excited about it! Unfortunately it doesn't work with US variant of Galaxy S3 yet even with version 2. At least not on Jelly Bean, it would freeze the phone after a short period of time. I emailed the developer about it and talked with him; he said it has to do with "Project Butter" and how Jelly Bean handles vsync on our phone and he wanted to contact one of GSIII developer to help him. This was a few months ago though :( I was even accepted into Version 2 Closed Beta at one point! It looks like he made version 2 alpha available now which is great news, the new interface is really slick.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I would die if I was still stuck on 2.3, no hardware acceleration FTL. I had dramatically better battery life going from stock T-Mobile 2.3 image to 4.0 image for my Blaze 4G.

Yeah Motorola in general fails, I would never buy one nor an HTC.

8. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some of you guys really need to try a Motorola device that's not tied down to a U.S. carrier. I had both the Verizon RAZR MAXX HD and now an international RAZR HD, and it's a big difference in terms of software modding. Procedures such as rooting and flashing custom ROM can be done in seconds on the international model where it would take up to five to ten minutes on the Verizon model.

Heck, I even goofed up a firmware flash and RSDLite got the phone back up and running in two minutes. I'm seriously contemplating buying a bricked MAXX HD and changing out the casing so I can have that big 3300 MaH battery.

9. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    You shouldn't feel that way about HTC. HTC is very good. They just have to fix some minor annoyances of theirs. Their devices are amazing, even though I'm a Samsung guy. But the Xperia Z beats, hands down, the HTC Butterfly.

10. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.