All Things Android - Apps, Phones, Tablets - Discussion

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by H.A.L. 9000, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Type 100

Type 100 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last month Sony made the ICS update available for its 2011 Sony Ericsson cellphone lineup, which includes my Xperia Mini Pro. The phone has Sony's slightly customized Gingerbread as stock firmware.

I'm having reservations updating. So far I've read complaints of a slower and buggier experience with ICS-upgraded Xperia Mini Pros, owing mainly to the greater hunger for RAM. Also, to be honest, I don't really find much wrong with Gingerbread.

Is the decision to update to ICS device-dependent? While my phone can officially make the jump, I'm still looking for a definitive push for ICS.

2. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Updates are pushed to these devices pending on manufacturer/carrier. ICS is supposed to help smooth out the whole Android experience, but from my experience so far it may actually do more harm than good on devices that have older GPUs with 720p screens and/or less than 1 GB RAM (I'm looking at you, Rezound). Some manufacturers will push updates by region, while most carriers will push the update when they've put on their bloatware on it and verified it doesn't crash the phone every other second.

As much as promising as Jelly Bean is, I will wait for the official images from Google. All the ROMs based off the leak or SDK is a bit buggy and it broke all the text menus on my Kairosoft games. Total deal breaker. ;)

3. Saisei

Saisei Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ICS should actually be better for the Rezound because:
    1. Gingerbread was not coded properly for Dual-cores, many times 1 core would be offline, so ICS should be quicker
    2. ICS is GPU accelerated, prior to, everything was rendered via CPU, so your phone should be much more snappy. If I remember correctly, all the devs that build for S3(snapdragon) chips @xda have already added GPU OC to their kernels.
    3. Why don't you use the Sense 3.6(ICS) ROMs, remove the Sense apps or use a senseless rom, install the APEX launcher, and call it a day? :p
    4. Don't wait for htc to update b/c they will update the One series first then they will slowly get around to giving other phones updates if they want. Htc is not very reliable with updates if you ask me, they will probably update the One series to Jelly bean and that will be their last update officially.

4. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Keyword is "should". The Rezound is probably one of the very few devices I've seen where ICS actually made it slower and I was ended up forcing S-OFF on it to get it back to Gingerbread. I blame it on Verizon/HTC premature build or the Adreno 205 doesn't have enough horsepower to sufficiently support a 720p screen. I've seen the same GPU on a Galaxy S II Skyrocket with ICS and it was smooth as butter.

5. Saisei

Saisei Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Adreno 205 is actually the GPU from the S2, it was in the myTouch 4G, Incredible 2, G2, and other major htc releases late 2010-early 2011. The GPU paired with the rezound is the Adreno 220, I had a similar phone as you(htc sensation) but that that has qHD instead. Anyway it's too bad that your ICS experience(s) hasn't been better, I would have had thought the performance between qHD-->720P wouldn't be so drastic.

I guess the 720P assets are a great burden on the A220. Though I think your issues are mostly from poor Sense builds and bad GPU drivers this time, however it has always been a hog regardless of the hardware it's with. Would you happen to know what frequency the ICS roms were on that you tried? And whether they were debug/leak/test builds?

6. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Was the ICS from Verizon/HTC a finalized build? I havent heard anything regarding a official OTA push for the Rezound, although the phone is on HTC's upgrade list.

7. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the correction, it is indeed the 220. The build I used was the fifth iteration for the leak, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

I'd like to see how the Xperia S/Ion performs with ICS before I finalize it in my head that the Adreno 220 has no business with 720p screens.

8. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    400MHz OC Mali 400MP beats them all ;)

The GSII actually has a ROM port from the HTC One X, and it seems to be really stable.

9. Saisei

Saisei Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well the Mali 400 is OC'd in the GSIII and it beats the HOX I think, however the CPU of the GSII is inferior to the HOX.
    Leaks are always buggy, slow, unstable, I have been using using Android since it came started on 1.0; the issues you have a pretty normal, your rez's performance will be better once there's a full build and the devs are able to improve the kernel(s). And don't get the Xperia S/Ion if you're thinking of upgrading because it has the same S3 cpu, 720P display. If you want to upgrade I suggest a One Series, Galaxy SIII, ascend D-Quad, or Vega S.

10. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    Yup, I know, I sometimes OC mine, and it gives me a really considerable amount of boost. It does beat the HOX in GPU but not in CPU obviously ;)

In bold : I kind of disagree... The ICS leaks for the GSII, initially were crappy. But starting from the 4th leak pre-official release, it becamse very, very good, but still not as good as, say, CM9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.