All Things Android - Apps, Phones, Tablets - Discussion

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by H.A.L. 9000, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Check into Walmart's new mobile phone service. It's $45 and it's unlimited everything. I forgot what it's called but supposedly they leech off of other carriers networks.

2. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    T-Mobile's "Monthly 4G" prepaid is the best option for prepaid. I had it before, because the ability to get any android phone I wanted and just stick the SIM in and use it. (So, yes T-Mobile uses SIM cards :p, when you set up and order the plan, you can select to just get a SIM instead of a phone) Their 3G speeds are better than any other carrier and they usually have good 4G coverage, BUT make no mistake, after the "4G limit" it goes to 2G. Which is horribly unusable, I know from personal experience, you get about 0.02Mbps down.

But aside from that, they have the best offer than anybody, since you can use any GSM phone you want, which is not the case with any other (reasonably priced) prepaids. ;)

Straight Talk :) They run off of Verizon's network.

3. Nick

Nick Professor Carnista

Reputations:
    I just switched from the Straight Talk Unlimited $45 plan to T-Mobile's $30 100 Minutes(Unlimited text and data) plan. Have you looked at Straight Talk's offerings? They sell sim cards that run on T-Mobile and AT&T. You get unlimited minutes, texting, and about 2GB's of data. I believe on the $50 plan, after 100MB it throttles to 2G speeds. I could be wrong though.

You can use a T-Mobile sim in any GSM phone that is unlocked or T-Mobile branded. But, the phone must support T-Mobile's 3G/4G bands, if you want 3G/4G.

4. Nick

Nick Professor Carnista

Reputations:
    [QUOTE='[>>ahl395<<]

Straight Talk :) They run off of Verizon's network.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Straight Talk sells phones on all four major carriers: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

They also sell sim cards that run on AT&T or T-Mobile.

I believe Wal-Mart Family Mobile runs off T-Mobile's network.

5. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have! But when I ask "What's the best phone ever?" it crashes :laugh:

Deodexing is being done and improved to all GSIII apps for CM9 support. Should be ready in a few days

This fw dump will also accelerate openDESIGN development!

6. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    The thing is though, you really can't just use any GSM phone for T-Mobile prepaid, as it has to support their AWS bands for 3G/4G.

You can literally use any 3G phone on Straight Talk, since they have roaming agreements with every major GSM carrier in the US.

7. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    Looks like im going back to plain CM9 instead of an AOKP, the newest update includes pretty much everything AOKP did. :D

Ah yeah, forgot about that. T-Mobile's bands suck :rolleyes:

8. Pai

Pai Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    not to mention T-Mo's Flagship phone is always the last to receive any Android updates. Vibrant and now GSII.

9. Phistachio

Phistachio A. Scriabin

Reputations:
    Nice! But I do miss my notification drawer customization... :( But damn CM9 is light years fast with Siyah kernel!

Also, dat car...

10. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    So it has to be a phone compatible with T-Mobile's bands and unlocked...but after I run out of 4G, I get bumped straight down to 2G? That sucks, I'm really trying to avoid that. >:|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.