All Things Android - Apps, Phones, Tablets - Discussion

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by H.A.L. 9000, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Winamp?

http://winampenthusiasts.com/?smd_process_download=1&download_id=263

I can't really think of another one...

That link is legit, Winamp got bought by another company so their downloads were pulled from the play store for now.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=374929

Winamp spearheaded streaming music really so yeah...

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    Ethrem, thank you, will try it.

3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm actually digging into this a bit more for you @Starlight5 because Winamp doesn't seem to like anything but Shoutcast.

I don't know what impact it would have on battery but VLC actually will play any stream you throw at it. I wasn't aware that it did streaming music. Hit the audio option and there a broadcast icon in the top right corner and you can paste the URL.

TuneIn Radio does streaming as well of course.

Edit: okay, it really looks like VLC is the best standalone for streaming music. The catch is that you have to copy and paste the URL to the playlist file or the stream itself. For some reason downloading a pls file and opening it with VLC it will error out but if you copy and paste the link, it plays just fine. It even supports RTSP and MMS server links.

If you have a Shoutcast stream, you can't beat Winamp.

TuneIn Radio has a huge selection. Most streaming stations have a station link on it.

I tried 6 different music players and VLC seems to be the only one that can play pretty much anything. I guess that shouldn't be surprising considering its video prowess.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Starlight5 likes this.
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 Don't call me Chris, my name is Elvis

Reputations:
    Ethrem, I don't like VLC for Android, but will give it another try then. I need a player with ability to play a number of http&aac streams from a pre-composed m3u or pls or whatever playlist file (copy-pasting ain't a problem either), fast switch between them using prev/next buttons, and without social, ad, shop crap and annoying radio selection. So far I'm using Total Commander's built-in audio player, but it's uncomfortable and often stops playback without a reason, as if its' service behavior is configured improperly.

5. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm amazed you found anything even remotely that robust. Streaming audio has largely been moved to individual apps like Spotify, Rhapsody, Amazon, Beats, etc.

I'm not sure if VLC will do a compiled list of stations or not but it supports pls stream playback so it might?

TuneIn Radio has the ability to add in custom stations as well but I have the pro version (was free app of the day on Amazon a while ago), I don't know if it is available in the free one.

6. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Can someone recommend me a vector note taking app?

Currently I'm using Papyrus but this app only supports white background which is a huge waste of battery life with LED displays. I'm looking for an alternative with the following:

• Must be vector based. No raster please.
    • Support black background and light color ink
    • Can add picture quickly from camera
    • Infinite page mode preferred

Anything that might fit?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.