All Things Android - Apps, Phones, Tablets - Discussion

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by H.A.L. 9000, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As of now it's OEM choice. It wouldn't be a big deal if they made a way to decrypt the device without having to wipe it. It has its benefits though. Like now when someone steals your phone, as long as the bootloader isn't unlocked if the person does a factory reset, it keeps the device locked until you log in with your Google account rendering mobile theft useless. Of course without root, I can't keep transferring all my apps and data from phone to phone so that's a big no go for me since I've been transferring apps since my HTC Hero which was the second android phone lol.

2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Fat chance of that happening. I remember an article on Phone Scoop detailing how Google's making internal NAND encryption active by default starting with lollipop.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I poked around the Nexus 6 at the T-Mobile store when it had 5.0.2 and 5.1, I don't see a massive increase in performance, but I didn't have too long to poke around with it. A very meh thing is the battery life, it seems Google does not seem to care about battery life as much (but now the Nexus 6 has top tier specs as well as a top tier price tag to go along). I'm still rather irked by Motorola not rolling out Lollipop on 1st gen Moto devices as promised (Moto X, G, E, my fiance has the Moto G 4G LTE variant). I hope Sony does the soak tests for the Z3V too.

4. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes they do indeed do that on their stock devices but manufacturers are not doing it.

You have to spend a while with it to notice the performance increase. That or fire up AnTuTu. Google changed the way the CPU operates after a custom kernel maker implemented the change in his kernel that fired all four cores up at once instead of letting them sleep and thus using more CPU cycles (and draining battery faster). Boot time is the other obvious difference.

Battery life doesn't bother me. It is better than the S3, S4, One M7, and One M8 before it. I'm at 19% right now with 5 hours of screen on time and a total of 12 hours off the charger. That's more than enough. Most don't use their phones like I use mine. That's the stock kernel too. If I put francokernel on here, I'd get a good 20% more plus an overclock. Its no Droid Turbo but it does the job. Sony is off limits for me because root breaks the camera.

5. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    Hi.

A word of warning the Samsung Galaxy S 8.4" seems to be having problems with quality of the display, basically like clouding, light patchy area`s on back screens, while the 10.5 inch version seems to be unaffected, the 8.4" seems to use an pentile pixel panel while the 10.5" uses an rgb pixel panel.

The screen problems only seem to show when viewing the display in the dark environment, and cannot be seen with normal light levels, so how many people will be bothered is a personal choice.

Check the link below for more information

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/help/tab-s-8-4-screen-homogeneity-issues-t2826661/page1

John.

Mitlov likes this.
  6. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was not aware of the thing going on with DRM keys on an unlocked bootloader until you wrote this. Thankfully, it's possible to root without unlocking the bootloader, thus maintaining the DRM keys needed for better low-light performance, noise reduction, and some other Sony Mobile apps. This way of rooting may not work on all models and firmwares, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel.

http://www.android.gs/root-for-locked-bootloader-sony-xperia-z3-z3-compact-finally-made-available/

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Haha well I guess you are apart from the norm. I think flagship phones these days being ~5" or slightly larger, and having 3000+ mAH battery, 1.5-2 days of moderate usage should not be out of the question. Maybe I obsess with getting good battery life, but my job also puts me in front of a computer all day long, so I will say I use my phone less than your average person.

For me, staying with Verizon was easier than jumping back to T-Mobile. Verizon also doesn't have a great Android phone selection IMO, having only flagship phones (G3, M9, S5/6/Edge, Note 3/4, Droid Turbo, Moto X, Nexus 6, iPhone 6/6+, Z3V). I'm still not a huge fan of the G3 button placement, the M9 overheats and I'm still wary of HTC build quality. I didn't really want a Note, S5 was too plain and meh phone components. I wanted to get away from Apple, Moto X has a craptastic battery and I'm already annoyed with Motorola. Nexus 6 I had seriously considered but a couple things worried me; Verizon is likely to shaft Nexus users again with promised OTA updates (Galaxy Nexus much), the Lollipop encryption thing, the sheer size, QHD screen and the battery size choice relative to the phone. I don't particularly care for the turbocharging, a phone should last you at least 1 day, and the Nexus 6 isn't doing that. Don't get me wrong, I love Nexus devices, but I feel the 6 is such a polarizing device compared the older 4/5/Gnex. I don't plan on rooting or doing any more custom rom flashing, I'm kind of sick of it. And that's what I did on my Nexus 4, I kept stock Android. There's no need to do all those sort of crazy things, even though you can. My Sony phone has been still fast despite all the Verizon bullcrap put on it, has the performance and the battery life and overall I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Ethrem likes this.
  8. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    But see, I always root and run a custom ROM stripped of any bloat. Plus T-Mobile versions shipped with a secure bootloader too (despite the fact that T-Mobile has no issue with rooting and modding, in fact when I buy a new phone at the store we almost always get into a discussion about rooting) making it hard to free my phone.

I agree with most of your points but the Nexus 4 and 5 didn't have great battery life either.

[​IMG]

But yes, Sony has excellent battery life. If it wasn't for the DRM and encrypted bootloader mess, I'd have gotten a Z3.

By the way as someone who owned the M7 and the M8, they were incredibly well built. I had a ton of HTC phones going all the way back to the HTC Mogul (PPC-6800) and the build quality of the M7 and M8 were out of this world. Horrendous batteries though :p

Convel likes this.
  9. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    When I got my Nexus 4 (early 2012), I had 4.1 shipped out on it, and it OTA updated to 4.2. The battery life wasn't great, and 4.2.1 made it even worse (it barely lasted like 3/4 of a day). 4.2.2 came out and I could go through a 8 hour work day and I would still have 50-60% battery life left. I guess software updates can potentially make the battery life better, but having an appropriate sized battery also helps. Yeah the 5 wasn't great, but Google put alot of hardware into the 5 as they did the 4, and compromised on the battery. At least on the 1st gen Moto series, it was average, not great, not awful. But then look at the 2nd gen Moto X. Just bleh on Google for putting compromises on the Nexus 6, despite its 600 dollar price tag.

There was a guy on here who bought like 2 HTC One M7's and they all had build quality issues (screen bezel, phone chassis not put together well). It was mostly early production models. But the Nexus 9 had the same sort of QC issues (the back of the tablet flexes, white light bleed towards the top of the screen, poorly made volume rocker/power button). Apparently the newer Nexus 9s had improved build quality. I feel HTC is like the ASUS of the phone world, great ideas, average reliability, and build quality that can vary. I found the M9 build quality was good, but I could have cooked an egg on the frame because it was so hot.

10. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't really feel like Google compromised much. I mean the battery is around an hour less than the Note 4 but it has a larger screen. I kind of feel like it should be expected. I don't know, I guess I got used to phones with poor battery life. My Nexus 6 will last two days if I actually use my laptop instead of spending all day browsing on it. The phone is more convenient for me which is why it gets so much use. Another battery life factor in my case is that I don't have WiFi calling and the LTE signal fluctuates up and down in my building. T-Mobile turned on Band 12 and now my phone switches between 4 and 12 all day. With the phone on HSPA, I got 6h54m of screen on time. I don't really mind the plastic construction of the Nexus because it doesn't flex and creak like my S3 did. The speakers are a huge selling point for me and while they don't have the bass of HTC Boomsound, they produce some rather clear tones and don't lose the mids like the HTC did. I got the 64GB so no storage expansion complaints. They could have put a better camera in but to be honest it takes some pretty decent pics even in low light, the shutter lag is just crazy long.

My speaker grill on my M7 wasn't perfectly aligned but if the OCD people on XDA never pointed it out, I never would have noticed. I can say that I left my phone case at home one day when I was drunk and decided to go walk to the wall and this girl ran into me while I was talking on the phone and it fell from my ear and I watched it roll on its sides and come to rest on its back. Left a dent in the bottom but because of how HTC weighted the phone, no busted screen. I'm 6'1 and it went straight down on the concrete and I expected it to shatter. To me that's great build quality. I got mad and tossed my M8 across the room one time (I have an Irish temper lol) and it didn't damage it either.

The M9 heat was crazy. Before HTC released a patch that cut 400MHz off the A57 cores, it was reaching a scorching 134F! I know when my M7 was charging and I played Brave Frontier it hit 118F and throttled itself but I couldn't hold the phone at that point so I could not imagine 134F.

With Sony exiting the US market (again), I guess I'll be waiting to see what the Note 5 offers. I have two Jump credits available too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.