All Things Android - Apps, Phones, Tablets - Discussion

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by H.A.L. 9000, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its a midrange chip. Not a high performer at all.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Imagination-PowerVR-G6200.129146.0.html

GFXBench vs S6: https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?be...2=Samsung+Galaxy+S6+(SM-G920x,+SC-05G)&cols=2

Nexus 6: https://gfxbench.com/compare.jsp?be...&os1=Android&api1=gl&D2=Google+Nexus+6&cols=2

I used the older Nexus 6 because the 1440p resolution isn't out on an 810 device yet (both M9 and G Flex 2 are 1080p) but as you see, the older Nexus 6 spanks it

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Normally I wouldn't knock the Adreno in the Snapdragon SoCs. But since updating to 5.0.1, the GPU performance in my M8 has taken a serious dive. Very noticeable when running the FPse emulator. Apparently many others are experiencing the same issues with the Adreno GPUs and Android 5.0. Opinion is Qualcomm royally forked up with the firmware drivers in 5.0, but fixed them in 5.1.

3. joe1016zw

joe1016zw Newbie

Reputations:
    I have just buy a new Samsung Galaxy S6,and i think it is very good to use...

4. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Google made a mess of Lollipop. My Nexus 6 used to take like 5 minutes to boot, no joke. Graphics performance wasn't a huge issue but 5.1 still stutters, most likely it is the resolution that's my problem though.

Adreno was ATi's Imageon tech before Qualcomm bought it so it is no surprise they are such capable GPUs. I can't wait for the Tegra M1 though. The question is will anyone use it, however...

The S6 would be a no brainer for me if it had front facing speakers. Apparently the Note 5 is rumored to have them though so if that pans out, I'll likely switch to the Note 5 especially if Qualcomm hasn't sorted their silicon.

5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Hence one of the big reasons I chose an M8 over an S5 (other than KNOX and TouchWiz). I can't see any benefit in having such high rez screen on these devices. Stuffing 2560x1440 into a 5" screen means it will always take a big portion of the SoC to drive it. I really can't tell the difference between my sister's LG G3 screen and my M8 other than the G3's screen is wider.

I wish Nvidia would put out another Shield Tablet with their new M1. The Shield with the K1 I got to play on was awesome. I came very close to buying one just to see how well it could run FPse.

Mr.Koala likes this.
  6. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A lot of journalists prematurely reported it to have a big.LITTLE architecture, most likely shrugging 'true octa-core' off as HMP capability. In their defense, MediaTek hides the core type on their own site to distance their high-performance part from the rest of their portfolio.

2K doesn't increase performance, and although the MT6795 has a few more tricks up its sleeves than the MT6752, I'm left looking at clock speeds and how it's usually paired with better memory once again.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/07...cortex-a57a53-processor-to-launch-in-q4-2014/

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Are you sure it wasn't because of that encryption in 5.0 that were on devices that shipped out with Lollipop? Also I noticed that with my Nexus 7 (which REALLY annoyed me because I turn it off every night), Lollipop makes it take FOREVER to boot. Samsung's boot is actually quite fast with the stock 4.4.4 image.

8. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
  9. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I spent hours removing the forced encryption from it (such a pain, had to manually backup everything to my desktop with adb which took literally hours and to even get that started I had to flash an insecure boot image with fastboot then I had to flash the factory image to get the new radio and bootloader then I had to wipe the device again to remove the encryption and finally load the custom recovery and push a stock rooted rom that had force encrypt turned off, really ticked me off) and it made a negligible difference in boot time. 5.1 fixed the boot issues. My Nexus 7 on 5.0.2 still boots faster than the Nexus 6 did before 5.1 despite its ancient hardware.

Well that's what I had thought as well which is why it got confusing digging for info. I wonder if there aren't two versions though, one using big.LITTLE that was scrapped in favor of the true octacore? Either way, A53 cores are too weak for a high performance chip, Android doesn't exactly have perfect SMP.

That is officially way too big. Google got it perfect for me with the Nexus 6.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  10. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Holy moly that sounds like a pain to do. Will Google be doing encryption on for all Lollipop devices going forward (like in Nexus devices)? What about other OEMs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.