All Things Android - Apps, Phones, Tablets - Discussion

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by H.A.L. 9000, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    That's pretty appalling for a device with Tegra 4, 1 GB RAM and near stock Android...

2. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    My previous post have been on the subject of battery drain while my Wikipad 7" is in sleep mode, i found an old guide from 2011 that talks about android tablets still having phone processes running in the background causing the tablet to wake up for no reason my v4.2.2 has these files, the guide below shows you how to delete two files com.android.phone and Phone.apk

You need a rooted tablet to do this, also if you have an combined wifi and 3g/4g tablet you might not want to do this, unless you don't use this feature.

You follow the guide below at your own risk.

How to vastly improve Android tablet battery life - CNET

John

S.Prime likes this.
  3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
  4. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    That's really sad that products like that are shipped. Should never have had those two files to begin with if it weren't a WWAN model.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
  6. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Is it similar to the MMORPG game? I played it for a bit and enjoyed it, but I avoid MMO's as much as I can so I can still have a life. ;)

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Not very much. KOTOR is a single-player story-and-character-driven RPG, much like BioWare's other single-player RPGs that made the company's name: Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Dragon Age: Origins. SWTOR, on the other hand, is exclusively an MMO, and you either like MMOs or you don't (I don't; the stories are inherently weaker than single-player RPGs, the missions are typically repetitive and grind-y, and I don't want to coordinate with other people about when I play games). I mean, they're both Bioware products so they'll have a somewhat similar feel to them, but they're very different in terms of structure, class system, inventory system, etc.

8. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    It was faster to download and play it. ;) Its substantially different than the MMO game. Not sure if I like its battle system yet.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Dude, that was a four-sentence post, not a wall of text...

10. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    So, I ended up getting a smartwatch. Specifically, the LG G Watch R. I narrowed it down to that or the Moto 360, as my only real requirement was a round face, and those are pretty much the only choices. The GWR was $50 more, but that $50 bought a faster processor, more memory, larger battery with longer life, and a higher display resolution, and the display covers the full circle (the Moto 360 has a "flat tire" cutoff at the bottom to house the ambient light sensor). Overall, I'm happy with it. For starters, as a watch, it's great. Always synced to my phone so I never have to worry about the date or time being off, and literally infinite possibilities for faces. The watch comes with 20 or so pre-installed, and you can download new ones, as well as apps to make your own. I usually roll with a mock analog face with dials for date, weather and watch battery. But I occasionally switch to the Fallout Pip-Boy interface or LCARS from Star Trek for the purposes of showing it off :)

It activates and shows its face when you tilt your wrist up to look at it, and has an optional "always-on" mode where it shows a face even when it's not being looked at, but at a lower brightness, and slimmed down faces; typically the faces switch to black and white in always-on mode, and second hands disappear. The display only updates once every minute, and the whole face shifts a few pixels at a time every minute to help prevent constantly-lit pixels from burning into the display. All the stock LG faces have very thin elements in always-on mode for this reason, so no pixels stay lit the entire time. Obviously you have to be careful with third-party faces, as not all are designed to account for that, but many are. I personally disable always-on mode anyway, so the display turns off until I tilt my watch to look at it.

Beyond the whole timepiece aspect, it connects via Bluetooth to my phone. I have an LG G3, but it should theoretically work on any Android phone running 4.3 or higher. Texts sent to my phone pop right up on my wrist, and I can reply via voice command. I can answer or reject calls, control music playback and volume (though song/album selection has to be done on the phone itself), read and archive emails without touching my phone. And if I'm using my phone for GPS navigation, turn-by-directions show up on the watch. It also tracks how many steps I take, and has a heart rate monitor, though the sensor doesn't usually pick up my pulse if I wear it normally; I have to rotate the band so the watch is on the underside of my wrist and tighten it a notch tighter than normal.

Anyway, here's a few photos of it, including the Pip-Boy and LCARS faces. I swapped the stock plain black leather strap for the one from my Armani watch that I've been wearing for years so it's nice and broken in. It doesn't look drastically different. Pardon the quality of the last two; those faces are much brighter than the first, so they didn't show up well on camera. They look much better in person.

JerryP, hizzaah, Fishon and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.