All Things Android - Apps, Phones, Tablets - Discussion

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by H.A.L. 9000, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Ok, so Android is getting to be a huge deal, and the off-topic section could use this. Soo many people are going Android these days, and this would be a good thread to state which Android apps YOU use, and maybe a couple of words about it... Like what the app does and how well it does it (and if it "force-quits" a lot)... What apps do you use?

Mine are pretty generic so far, but I getting into developing apps... so I may even write a couple someday.
    1.)Dropbox --- Great implementation on Android for sharing files among your personal devices.
    2.)File Manager --- Everyone will use one sooner or later, so in this reguard it's just a matter of which file explorer you pick. Most of them are GREAT.
    3.)Google Sky Maps --- If you like the stars or astronomy, you'll flip over this really cool FREE Google app.
    4.)MorseCoder --- Just a cool Morse Code app.
    5.)Music Player --- Really original name, I know. But it does what it says, and it does it VERY well. It also includes a nice widget.
    6.)Sketcher --- Draw with your fingers, with several really cool effects.
    7.)VLCMote --- A simple remote interface for VLC's web interface.
    8.)Wattpad --- Great reading app... they feature the whole Gutenburg Project I believe.
    9.)Unified Remote --- Great mouse/keyboard/media remote software I've come across so far.

2. Johnny T

Johnny T Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think there was another thread somewhere (couple of months ago), but what the heck lets have another. :p

- Pure calender widget (does exactly what it says :p)
    - Twidroyd Pro (Paid twitter app)
    - Status Note (note in the status bar, as a notification)
    - ADW launder
    - Swiftkey beta (good text prediction, free right now)
    - Tunes Remote (acts as remote for itunes)

3. Tristan

Tristan Garrosh Did Nothing Wrong

Reputations:
    System Panel - Monitors battery, CPU, and Device usage. Also can be a task killer for those who think it saves batter:rolleyes:. $2.99
    LauncherPro - Seven to one screen home screen App, smooth, customizable dock bar. Free(for the time being)
    Beautiful Widgets - Clean and sleek widgets for weather, time, wifi, airplane mode, etc. $2.99
    Btunes - basically the itouch music player. $1.99
    Swype - text input method. Free
    Agenda Widget - Calender app with an amzaing amount of visible customizations, alerts, and syncs. Free
    Gameboid - A to die for gameboy emulator. Chews through battery but now that I have it I can't live without it. $2.99
    OI File Manager - a fie manager. Free
    Droidfit - an exercise app that lets you know when an what you did and what you plan on doing. sounds stupid but really pays off. Free

4. Alexrose1uk

Alexrose1uk Music, Media, Game

Reputations:
    Juice Defender - Saves battery by switching things like 3g data off when the screen is off/controlling battery eating features
    Cubed (3) - One of the best free music players even if I prefer Morph Flow view over the default Cube
    RockPlayer - Plays almost any file type, still being worked on though so still early days
    Astro File Manager
    Task Manager
    MP3 Tagger - Allows you to fix those dodgy mp3 id tags
    Tunee Music - Russia presents free music...
    Smart Monitor - monitors CPU usage/storage/memory/data usage

5. EricaL

EricaL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i updated my htc desire to android 2.2 today ! :D

6. Manic Penguins

Manic Penguins [+[ ]=]

Reputations:
    Don't threads like these belong over at Brighthand, just like desktop threads belong in DTR?

7. Johnny T

Reputations:
    The difference is, DTR was created because NBR'ers wanted it, and then well, they left it. >.> And most older NBR accounts were ported to DTR were as Brighthand is a stand alone site. Essentially, the old desktop section on NBR became DTR, Brighthand is just Brighthand.

8. Tristan

Tristan Garrosh Did Nothing Wrong

Reputations:
    and whats the verdict? is teh hawt?:D

9. EricaL

EricaL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    there are many minor changes in the ui, and the phone feels slicker to use as well. there's video recording with the flashlight on in 720p, and there's flash too! :D

10. Johnny T

Reputations:
    Well it should be...:p With JIT enabled, 2.2 pretty much doubles the linpack score! ^^;;;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.