All possible recommendations for heavy gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ahmed Nabil, Sep 4, 2019.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Oh, I don't really have any numbers on failure rates. But I do feel like the higher end GPU's have a higher failure rate than the mid range or low end ones. They are pushing higher power consumption and usually running at higher temperatures, so its only normal that they have a higher chance of failure.

If you look at the extended warranty options for the P870TM-R they are $500 extra per year to have the GPU covered. Compare that to the P775TM which doesn't have that extra cost for the GPU coverage.

2. PXHome

PXHome Newbie

Reputations:
    I see. Make sense. Thanks. I’ll check the extended warranty.

3. Encryptonite

Encryptonite Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    just make sure to take care of ur laptop with repaste, cleaning dust, propping it up and maintenance, should be banging. it's with any kind of on board component. anything has the potential to fail and moreso on stuff that isn't maintained at all. u really don't have a whole lot to worry about, especially if u tweak settings in bios/software (that talks to bios).

even hard drives fail with excess heat, airflow is important, even for those! if we overheat, we will die, as anything.

bottom line, take care of ur stuff, get a warranty

the 1440p clevo 1.4 panel (banding there, but the one with g sync) is stunning to see, I haven't had an issue with the banding on my panel (but I do notice it if I look for it. I'm also sensitive and see very small details, some that can bother me, but this banding does not). the 120hz is a big ol bonus and can handle that kind of spec with the 2080, even 1080 (I have the 1080 in sli)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019 at 6:41 PM
    Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I had that 1440p panel on the P870DM3 and it was really awesome. 2560*1440 @120Hz-144Hz is the ultimate/perfect resolution for a 17-inch notebook

Papusan, Encryptonite and Wild Turkey like this.
  5. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good to know. 1080p is nice but if I am going to buy a Ferrari for a DTR, I dont want to Sunday drive it.

So most likely will get the EVOC this time around. I have a Razer BlackWidow X and matching mouse laying around waiting for something to connect to anyways. Probably just a 9700k as all I do is game and weekly expense reports so the use/cost is overboard imo. Just need to decide on the 1080p or 1440p screen.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019 at 6:41 PM
    Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Wisconsingamer

Wisconsingamer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys so I too am looking at these same systems. Was really looking at the Msi titan models but no gsync kinda makes me shy away from them. I feel like gsync really helps in areas with frame drops.

Also I too have been torn between screen resolutions. Do the 1440p screen really look that bad I have 15/20 vision so pretty sharp eyes. I’m trying to figure out as well if I’d rather have nice 1080p screen with super high refresh rate. The only thing about the evoc is the 9ms latency which isn’t the greatest.

Lastly I have read some really good things about hid on this forum and had previously never heard of them. I myself have t used them. I usually buy laptop from xotic. The thing that has me thinking about going with his is the do liquid metal and I know that can drop temps considerably what are you guys thought on getting liquid metal vs say kryonaut any worries going with that. I’m also leaning towards the 9700k better thermals etc and mostly gaming but I go back and think 9900k should keep me not needing a new rig for at least 3-4 years.

Any help ideas appreciated not trying to hijack the thread but this is exactly where I’m at too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk