All Memory is Not Created Equal - HyperX 2133 CL12 versus Ripjaws 2133 CL11 versus Vengeance 2133 CL11

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Mr. Fox, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I already knew (or so I thought) that gains or losses from different memory speeds and timings made only a small difference in real-world performance, but the allure of something faster is a hard bug to shake. I grabbed some G.SKILL Ripjaws 2133 CL11 memory to replace my Kingston PnP 2133 CL12 fully expecting to see a very modest improvement in performance for my already insanely powerful M18xR2. Unfortunately, the opposite was true. There was a substantial decrease in performance... enough to be seen and felt.

I have used G.SKILL memory many times in the past and it has always been great. The Ripjaws was 100% compatible and rock-solid stable. It booted with no BIOS adjustments (all "auto" settings) and ran at advertised speed without any drama. The decline in performance was a disappointment, but NewEgg issued an RMA promptly. I am sharing the results so nobody else makes the same mistake. The images in the album below speak louder than words.

Tests were run repeatedly to confirm there was no anomaly. All BIOS settings were identical between the different brands. I alternated HyperX > Ripjaws > HyperX > Ripjaws and the differences were consistent in all tests.

Edit: I added results for Corsair Vengeance 2133 CL11 memory (2x8GB) to the photo album. The results are close to identical to the Kingston RAM with a very tiny edge in performance leaning toward Kingston.

View Imgur Album Here: http://imgur.com/a/baFxd#1

Following this testing I purchased 2 more 8GB sticks of Vengeance memory (32GB total) and the performance results are equal to two 8GB sticks. The only thing that changed was it moved from 1T to 2T automatically with 4 memory sticks, but the memory benchmark results are identical.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    ajc9988, J.Dre, Johnksss and 3 others like this.
  2. scracy

scracy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info mr fox,at least your memory runs at rated speed for some reason my Corsair Vengeance does not run at 2133Mhz as it is supposed to...best i can get is 1866Mhz 10-10-10-28 CR 1T:(

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Thanks for letting us know brother Fox. It takes a lot to be the first adopter. Shame we can't endorse this RAM over the Kingstons.

Mr. Fox and unityole like this.
  4. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This is surprising. I suppose Kingston is what I'll be sticking with for the foreseeable future.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I was really surprised as well as disappointed. Surprised at the difference in performance between the ram modules (far more difference than I ever expected) and disappointed that what I expected to be a fraction better was substantially less performance. It was not terrible, just not as good. If I set my Kingston 2133 manually for CL11 timings it's a tad faster and the gap between them widens even further. Not sure why that is, since the Ripjaws was super-stable and passed every memory stress test with flying colors, including the XTU test and Windows Memory Test, and Dell's ePSA test at boot.

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I've ordered 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 CL11 to test against my 4x4GB Kingston HyperX PnP 2133 CL12. The tests in the opening post were done with 2 sticks removed to match the 2x4GB Ripjaws capacity.

For the sake of the comparison that will follow, here is 4x4GB of the Kingston. Will post results when the Vengeance arrives.

HyperX-4x4GB-Test1.jpg

7. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    May I have your entire ram settings, so I may try them, the ones on the kingston please. and the ones on the g.skill. not just the cas->ras but the rest of the timings too. I'd like to put this to the test

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    The G.SKILL is gone. Sent it back to NewEgg already.

Here is the information from AIDA64 for the above benchmark with the Kingston @ 1066 MHz 12-12-12-36 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 48-171-6-16-8-8-27 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP-FAW)

Here are some custom timings as well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I added results for Corsair Vengeance 2133 CL11 memory (2x8GB) to the photo album showing in the opening post. The results are very close to identical to the Kingston RAM with a very tiny edge in performance leaning toward Kingston. I will stick with the 16GB of Vengeance because it runs at lower voltage (1.500V) and CR1 versus my 16GB (4x4) Kingston 2133 CL12 (1.650V) running at CR2. I'm thinking it might free up some power for extreme CPU and GPU overclocking and might run a tad cooler.

The stock timings for the Vengeance 2133 CL11 @ 1066 MHz 11-11-11-31 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 42-278-7-16-9-9-33 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP-FAW) and I might play with those a bit to see if I can eek out a little more speed.

Also running good at 2133 CL10...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Optimistic Prime likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Reprogrammed from CL11 to CL10 with Thaiphoon Burner...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.