All laptops with a MUX switch

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by B0B, Feb 6, 2018.

1. mark235

mark235 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  2. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thanks for the thread everyone, interesting read. Can we get any one to bench the difference in performance between using hybrid graphics and discrete only?

3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  4. slimmolG

slimmolG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It should be noted that the link above compares hybrid vs discrete GPU settings in a computer using the Optimus setup, which ends up funneling the dGPU through the motherboard/CPU graphics, therefore the graphics card performance is not truly independent.
    The Optimus vs dGPU comparison is useful for those systems, but doesn't compare the MUX situation where the dGPU output is direct.

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That video was tested on a laptop with a MUX switch.

6. chezzzz

chezzzz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    according to Jarrod'sTech, seems that the 2019 Lenovo Y540 has a Mux switch >

p.s. just wanted to mention, not having visited these forums in a little bit, i was disappointed to come to find that ....having installed some simple anti-tracker, ad-block add-ons to Firefox (it's become quite a scary world on the internet) ...it has now become impossible for me to connect to these forums using Firefox now ....sad fact. now i have to use an unprotected browser like Safari to connect to these forums. things just continue to get worse using the internet ....and frankly it is the fault of not only network providers, but of the websites themselves, who just continue to ruin the user experience for everyone.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  7. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Using Firefox with Ublock Origin, no issues. I think your issues are with your ad blocker.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. mark235

mark235 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Clevo PB50 was already mentioned as having a mux switch. The updated versions also have one, and at least 2 models support G-Sync:
    PB51RD-G (RTX2060)
    PB51RF-G (RTX2070)
    Not sure if the PB51RC (GTX1660TI) has a mux switch or supports G-Sync. I'm guessing yes to the mux switch but no to G-Sync. The "-G" at the end of the other model names probably states the obvious ( -G for G-Sync support)

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Clevo PB70EF-G, PB71EF-G, PB50EF-G, PB51EF-G all have MSHybrid & Discrete mode via BIOS MUX switch. These are sold as PowerSpec 1720 and 1520 models by MicroCenter. Hope that helps.

10. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    does the new alienware with 9900k and gt76 titan have mux switch in them? @hmscott @Falkentyne if you guys know this for MSI laptops. owners of alienware 51 will prob know for aw systems