]]>

All laptops with a MUX switch

Discussion in 'Notebook Dummy Guide Articles' started by B0B, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, no, that is true, but if you actually have iGPU via Optimus the data is routed through the iGPU and motherboard even when processed in the dGPU, you always have that delay. It only works well if the switch is exclusive. I suggest they do implement this, might help some gamers at some point

ole!!! likes this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    Even most smartphones have FP readers nowadays. Removing it from a high-end laptop doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

3. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    do u use it on laptop? if u do u'll see the value of it. i dont use fp reader at all i think its a dumb security measure that can easily be bypassed, just more of a gimmick than anything really.

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    @ole!!! of course I do. But personal experience is not the point here, is it? The point is, excluding feature that is now frequently included even in lower-end machines, let alone any workstation, definitely won't improve sales.

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 M$ BotNet 10

Reputations:
    Why are people arguing that MUX chips shouldn't be in a laptop.

Making a gaming laptop able to last a respectable amount of time unplugged is a plus to me, and it'll entice more people to buy the said laptop due to its multipurpose nature.

When done correctly (iGPU, dGPU and mshybrid/optimus), a MUXed laptop would be far more useful compared to an unMUXed one.

I was able to take my P71 as a DTR and travel device during holiday due to the MUX, sadly couldn't say the same for the KM1.

On topic.

ThinkPad P70/P71 (MXM) has MUX to switch between Optimus and dGPU only (iGPU turned off completely).

Not sure how the case is with the P50/P51 and other models that have a discrete graphics built in.

Georgel, B0B, Vasudev and 1 other person like this.