All Games Running Smooth & Choppy PERIODICALLY

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by LeftEyeNine, Dec 7, 2019.

1. LeftEyeNine

LeftEyeNine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I own an MSI GS60 6QE Ghost Pro(4K) of which thorough specifications you can find here. It sports an Nvidia GTX 970M for gaming purposes to be brief.

For a few months now, I do not now maybe half a year or even more, I suffer an odd FPS behavior which irritates me beyond bearable since nothing worked so far.

No matter which game I play (Divinity 2, PES 2020, FIFA 2020, Frostpunk, The Outer Worlds etc.), via which platform may it be (Steam, Origin etc.), the game suddenly cuts FPS in half, runs choppy enough to kill the fun, only to come back to running it silk smooth again in a minute or so - ONLY TO DO THAT FPS DROP AGAIN IN A MINUTE OR SO, only to come b-

Yeah this happens in almost identical intervals and it's like a radio frequency with its regular peaks and dips if you would visualize it.

I removed Razer Cortex, MSI Dragon Gaming Center etc., disabled Steam overlay, Origin overlay, disabled real-time antivirus of Avira, did a DDU sweep to reinstall graphics drivers, opted in and out of Windows Insider, turned off Telemetry altogether etc etc. Nothing worked.

Before resorting to a full format of the system, I was wondering if you could come up with any suggestions as to how to detect the problem or a solution right away.

Thanks in advance.

2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    first guess is overheating...check your temps with hwmonitor and make sure nothing is going over 88c

hfm likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    tps3443, hmscott, joluke and 2 others like this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, sounds like it might be thermal throttling, use something like HWiNFO + RTSS to display an OSD for your CPU/GPU stats so you can see what's happening in real time while you're gaming with temps and freq.

It also sounds like it might be something else running on your system causing it. It looks like you've already tried this though with a lot of different services/components already. I was having a problem with youtube videos (not games) stalling a lot (sound would get "stuck" for like 3-6 seconds at a time and freeze the video). It turned out to be Intel RST. I started uninstalling and reinstalling things one at a time and testing for a day, Intel RST was the culprit. I haven't had any issues at all since I uninstalled that and just use the default MS Win 10 AHCI driver.

hmscott and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey I was reading this and looked up intel rsd, which I do have on here. I'm a little nervous to uninstall it though since it says the OS ssd will be erased etc Is it just as easy as revo uninstall and restarting?

6. LeftEyeNine

LeftEyeNine Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Keep in mind that Nahimic is known for causing frametime issues, i also went nuts for months before i found it out casually that exiting from the app would give me back smooth gameplay and more fps.

Give it a try if you want

hmscott likes this.
  8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've never seen a drive get wiped by uninstalling Intel RST. It's just intel's storage driver and util. The one that comes with Windows works fine.

At your own risk obviously as maybe not every config is the same. If you are using it for RAID it might be required or some other advanced feature.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah my laptop was configured for raid by dell for the original owner, win7, I have since deleted the raid setup for the msata ssd it was installed on so it's not setup on any of my drives but it still comes up pre boot and says no drives in raid. There are some horror stories online about uninstalling it though. Only other thing is that for an msata ssd, at least on my m4600, w the os it still wants to boot from an hdd even though it does not have the os on it, it's a pain to "train" the computer w mult bios boot order changes to finally get it. Never had that problem w the raid controller.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Maybe @Falkentyne can explain how he disabled MSI Battery Boost so you can investigate that. I don't have an MSI laptop.

hfm likes this.