All about New Scientific, Concept and Futuristic Technologies Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dr. AMK, Feb 2, 2018.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    2036 Origin Unknown Trailer #1 (2018) | Movieclips Indie
    Movieclips Indie
    Published on May 7, 2018
    Check out the new trailer for 2036 Origin Unknown starring Katee Sackhoff!

2036 Origin Unknown | Netflix

https://www.netflix.com/title/81001097

5.0 out of 5 stars its progressive
    June 17, 2018
    Format: Prime Video Verified Purchase
    "You're all missing the point, this is like 2001 part 3. The movie is about the future of AI."

Okay I see a lot of bad reviews, but this is right up my alley
    June 11, 2018
    Format: Prime Video
    "Okay I see a lot of bad reviews, but this is right up my alley. I loved it and if you like The American Astronaut and The Circle (Netflix) then this might be for you. I really enjoy a thick plot with maybe two sets and a few actors in just that type that gets sucked in. I loved the ending and one line in particular just made me smile sooooo big around the end. I'm definitely showing this to some of my friends i know will enjoy it."

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    AMAZON SAYS 100 MILLION ALEXA DEVICES HAVE BEEN SOLD — WHAT’S NEXT?
    Amazon isn’t letting Google own CES without a fight
    By Dieter Bohn@backlon Jan 4, 2019, 4:00pm EST
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/4/1...es-how-many-sold-number-100-million-dave-limp

"More than 100 million devices with Alexa on board have been sold.

That’s the all-too-rare actual number that Amazon’s SVP of devices and services, Dave Limp, revealed to me earlier this week. That’s not to say Amazon has finally decided to be completely transparent about device sales, however.

While the company claims it outstripped its most optimistic expectations for the Echo Dot during the holiday season, Limp wouldn’t give a number for that. Instead, Limp says, Amazon is sold out of Dots through January, despite “pushing pallets of Echo Dots onto 747s and getting them from Hong Kong to here as quickly as we possibly could.”

But back to that 100 million number. Depending on how you count, it’s either seriously impressive or a serious problem for Amazon. On the one hand, 100 million pales in comparison to the number of phones that have either Siri or Google Assistant pre-installed. On the other hand, the word “pre-installed” is the key thing to pay attention to. With Alexa devices, you could argue, consumers are making an active choice to purchase an assistant instead of just getting a default.

It’s been a while since we’ve had a good, old-fashioned, knock-down, drag-out, winner-take-all platform war. But one might be brewing right now in the world of intelligent assistants. As in any platform war, the numbers come out front and center, and Amazon has the lead on many of those numbers: more than 150 products with Alexa built in, more than 28,000 smart home devices that work with Alexa made by more than 4,500 different manufacturers, and over 70,000 Alexa skills. The numbers for Google Assistant were lower across the board the last time we heard them, but it’s likely Google will use CES to check in with new ones.

How Amazon got to those numbers is a lot more interesting than the numbers themselves. Amazon’s strategy for Alexa reveals a fundamental philosophy: speak softly and empower everyone to just ship..."

Dr. AMK likes this.
  3. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Science Stories You'll Be Hearing About In 2019 | Answers With Joe

hmscott likes this.
  4. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Riding in a Driverless Taxi at CES 2019!

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  6. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  7. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations: