All about Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, Digital Transformation

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dr. AMK, Jan 7, 2018.

?

What "Future" do you think would be best?

1. Physics/Quantum Physics.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Cybernetics.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Bio-Engineering.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Astronomy Era, Asteroid mining, Exoplanet, Living in Mars.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Technological Regression.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. I don't know, hard to predict.

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  7. Others.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Be careful with Microsoft's apps from the disgusting Store if you have some of them installed:biggrin:

Bitcoin Owner Blames Apple for $600,000 Theft That Reportedly Took Place via Fake App wccftech.com

The Apple App Store is regarded as a safe platform by the company, but one individual called Phillipe Christodoulou probably does not believe that anymore after a fake app managed to steal his life savings away, which he had invested in Bitcoin. It turns out that Christodoulou blames Apple for this theft, for the reasons which we will discuss shortly.

Christodoulou Downloaded Trezor, an App That Supposedly Had a 5-Star Rating on the Apple App Store

Christodoulou had earlier downloaded an app called Trezor on his iPhone, which turned out to be fake. According to The Washington Post, Trezor was apparently a companion app for the cryptocurrency storage producer Treznor, but Christodoulou found out the hard way that this was absolutely not the case. Since the app turned out to be fake, all the Bitcoin that Christodoulou invested in was lost, with the amount equaling 17.1 Bitcoin, or $600,000.

According to Apple, Trezor made its way to App Store because the developers changed the application's purpose when it was submitted for review. Parts of the description stated that Trezor was a cryptography app and was not involved in any cryptocurrency trading. This allowed Trezor to be listed on the Apple Store from January 22, and well, you know the rest.

Later, Trezor changed its purpose from cryptography to cryptocurrency wallet, which Apple does not allow, and it removed the fake app, banning the developers shortly after, but not before the damage was done. Apple spokesperson Fred Sainz states that the company is thoroughly strict with criminals with this intent and that user trust is paramount for the company.

“User trust is at the foundation of why we created the App Store, and we have only deepened that commitment in the years since. In the limited instances when criminals defraud our users, we take swift action against these actors as well as to prevent similar violations in the future.”

Dr. AMK, etern4l and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's a bit of a problem with crypto - you are responsible for the security. Not a problem if you live in Ft Fox I'm sure :)

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I use the software provided by the hardware maker, no third-party junk. I use a Trezor hardware wallet and put all my coin there so it isn't on the web. The Trezor device produces a code that I have to match to a code on my screen and press a button on the device to confirm any transaction. In addition to that 2FA is required as well as authorization from two of my email address.

I just used the Trezor to convert mined BTC into a deposit of $300 USD into my Amazon account.
    upload_2021-3-31_7-15-45.png
    Trezor-hw-wallet.jpg

4. Nick

Nick Professor Carnista

Reputations:
  5. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Nvidia's Mining Limiter is Dead: Farm Uses 7 RTX 3060s tomshardware.com

Crypto miners - 1, Nvidia - 0 Crypto miners - 1, Nvidia - 1 Nvidia need the miners to push up the price point. And they got good help from the miners to push out their old inventory (Pascal and Turing) to the gamers CIGAR.gif Hence 1-1

Intentional or not, Nvidia played a huge role in helping cryptocurrency miners crack the anti-mining limiter. The chipmaker released a GeForce beta driver that partially disabled the algorithm, and everything just went downhill afterwards. Some may argue that it was just a matter of time before cryptocurrency miners figured out a solution, but the driver was pivotal for bypassing the limiter.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Dr. AMK and etern4l like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I wouldn't waste my money on an overpriced 3060 for mining. It's production is basically identical to 2080 Ti (60 MH/s), which is roughly half of what a 3090 produces and about double what a 2060 can do. It doesn't seem like it is worth bothering with 3060, but I understand that the tech media need something to try to generate hype about... that's just what they do. It doesn't need to have any merit as long as it works as click bait.

I'm seriously considering trying to get my hands on a another cheapest available second-hand 3090 I can find to stick into the CPU binning bench in the empty slot next to the 2080 Ti. The current arrangement consistently produces between $25 and $30 daily and pays out like a slot machine with diarrhea. It runs only 1065MHz on core by default while mining, so it could be a low quality sample that sucks at overclocking and it wouldn't matter.

Here is today's booty...
    upload_2021-3-31_17-14-44.png
    Capture.JPG

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Dr. AMK, Nick and Papusan like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Professor Carnista

Reputations:
    I built some rigs for Ethereum back in 2017/2018. Best rig had 13 RX 580s running off of 2 1000 watt PSUs. I think it ran at about 390 MH/s. All in all, I had about 29 GPUs running at once, which ended heating my apartment that winter. Didn't have to use the heat once. Luckily I sold the rigs right before the big crash of 2018.

IMG_20171217_171605.jpg

JRE84, Dr. AMK, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, I bet it kept your apartment very comfortable in the winter. You probably offset the cost of heating and then some by using the 'free' natural heat from mining instead of your heater.

Dr. AMK, Nick and Papusan like this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What if there is a hardware failure? Can you make a copy?

Looks like the MSRP of 3060 is about $300, which is pretty attractive, given it's a 12GB card. The hashrate is actually only around 47MH/s, so you'd basically need 3 to exceed the 3090 hashrate by a healthy 20%ish (assuming the limiter is well and truly dead). 900 vs 1400 (*1.2) is not bad for miners, and for them only, because few people would bother with 3 card+ setups. Another smart initiative by N. :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Dr. AMK, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, it has a backup feature in case the device gets lost or destroyed. The data is stored locally and on the web, but the hardware device itself is a required piece of the authentication puzzle. You cannot access the application or web UI without the Trezor device physically attached to the computer or phone by USB.

The 3060 is a good value for gamers. Having a decent gaming experience really never requires the most expensive flagship product. The 3060 is a fantastic entry-level choice for gamers that is (supposed to be) reasonably priced. The big caveat is finding one and not getting raped on the price if you do. Even bottom-of-the-barrel garbage GPUs that were previously selling for around $150 (like the RX 570) and are rather sucky for anything other than the most casual level of PC gaming are selling for $350-$450 now, which is totally ludicrous. Paying that much for a product that does not really do anything well and is available only because hardly anyone ever wanted one is a pretty horrible state of affairs to find ourselves faced with.

Going with 3060 would make financial sense for a dedicated mining rig if you had a bunch of them. Trying to use three 3060 GPUs on a system you use as a multi-purpose system would not work well at all. The 3060 does not support multi-GPU configuration and if you install more than one for mining (assuming you have the available PCIe slots) there is not enough PCIe bandwidth to not adversely affect a multi-purpose system unless you are using a very expensive HEDT setup with lots of unused PCIe lanes.

For a person that is going to be using a "normal" system and let it mine crypto too, the 3090 is probably the ideal solution because it does everything extremely well and it only takes one to do the job in such a marvelous way. Of course, that doesn't solve the problems of poor availability or the asinine price a 3090 is fetching. The pricing is way beyond stupid. In fact, for most people, it would be a bad financial decision if their focus is gaming and no crypto mining activity is planned. It is the mining capability that sets it apart.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    etern4l, Dr. AMK and Papusan like this.