All about Bezel-less and Foldable Smart Devices

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Dr. AMK, Feb 25, 2018.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I tried the Fold 3 yesterday. It has the same terrible divot in the screen as the flip. Again, pisspoor implementation of a good idea. Thank God we have the surface duo 2 coming out soon! Done the way foldables should be done. The fold is too skinny when folded, a terrible bump in the screen when opened and meh styling. The duo 2 in contrast is great when fold for one screen use, dual screens are much better since using the single screen for video on the fold knocks out a good chunk because of the wrong form factor. So, when watching content on the duo you get almost as much actual viewing area on one screen as you do with the opened Fold. Add in the awesome thinness of the Duo, the much better design of the duo, I would spend more money on the duo than the fold. I have not seen a razr in the wild yet so I cannot comment on their folding screen and if there is a bump in that one too.

2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't get why they can't just do two full screens that are separate and just a hinge in the middle between the two separate screens, no need to actually fold any screen. Being able to fold it protects both screens. But I guess the thickness factor would come in there, still it probably wouldn't be much thicker than some peoples phone cases are.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thats exactly what the duo is. and it's about as thin as a galaxy note 20 when it's folded.

[​IMG]

hertzian56 likes this.
  4. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Oh sorry guess I was just musing rather than investigating first.

kojack likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I kind of figured you did miss it. that's why I brought it to your attention. The duo 2 is coming later this month and will have everything that was missing from the first duo. A great camera setup, SD888 chip, 8gb of ram, NFC and wireless charging as standard and a larger battery. The S/D/2 will be the best foldable device available, and for the foreseeable future as well.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just as an addition. the duo running two apps at once on two different screens is a game changer in many ways. For me, I can have navigation and music both on screen at once, I can have note taking and building plans etc. on the two screens. I have gps coordinates to find a location and my camera control panels on the second screen ready to shoot. I can have a list of shots and my drone camera all in front of me at once to take all necessary footage quicker. The usage of the dual app setup is limitless in implementaion.

7. hertzian56

Reputations:

Would be really cool, when the prices filter down, so 5+ years from now lol
    Not a fan of the annoying paid advertising right in the script either, just test phones, but alas this is all for pay in some way, no matter where it comes from. Oh and no drop test?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  8. krabman

krabman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the fold 2, hardly ever touch the fold. You also learn to hold the phone so that you never see it. It's not something you try to do, it just happens, and quickly. To go back to the fold as you use a modern smartphone you work mostly with gestures and taps on various points on the screen. As you hold the fold the swipes never run into the fold, and the taps, even when they are on the fold, aren't annoying to most users. I'm not talking about people who tried the phone in the store, I'm talking about people who actually own the phone. Go look at the OG fold, fold 2, and fold 3 pages over at XDA and note the number of complaints in that regard, it's next to nothing.

You folks can say what you want about folding phones and I don't doubt you know what you like but I'm here to tell you owning one and fiddling with one in the store are two different things. Once accustomed to it, most will not want to go back. Ever. This is absolutely no chance I would buy an ordinary phone again. Way too limiting. The Samsung setup is not perfect, not saying that at all, folders have fundamental issues which are described above. Own one of them and the screen wins out over all of it. Once you get used to having that real estate the old rectangle seems absurdly anachronistic.

I'm really hoping Goog is going to release the much rumored Pixel Fold. I'll buy that sucker the second pre orders open up; I really miss having root.