All about Bezel-less and Foldable Smart Devices

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Dr. AMK, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    The Last (and First) Folding Phone!

Vasudev, Starlight5 and hmscott like this.
  2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    The "Waterfall" Smartphones Are Coming...

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's a nasty action of Oppo to appropriate and re-purpose the long used term "Waterfall Display" from radio spectrum display's on Amateur and Professional radio's.

In fact Oppo's use of the term "Waterfall Display" makes no sense when used to describe a display "curved around the phone" as "waterfall display""

AFAIK there is no use for a "waterfall display" function in a cell phone, and a wrap-around display can and should be described and named differently.

Here's a teaching video explaining the function and use of a waterfall display, he takes it slow and easy, the description is purposeful so hang in there and the waterfall will show up starting at 02:11:

Waterfall Displays Explained: Ask Dave #21
    David Casler
    Published on Mar 9, 2016
    The Ask Dave series answers your questions about ham radio, with emphasis on those of interest to those new to the hobby. This video explores various types of "waterfall" displays. My channel, Ham Radio Answers, also includes training videos for the Tech, General, and Amateur Extra examinations.

Icom 7300 Waterfall Display Review
    PrecisionGroupYT
    Published on Jul 2, 2017
    This is a quick look at the Icom 7300's display and my personal remarks on features and quality of this beautiful display. Note: twice in the video I meant to say video and not radio my mistake. Can't wait to see the soon to be released Icom 7610!!

A Spectrum Display + Waterfall Display, with various modes and sensitivity settings to adjust the signal display and method of display are now standard features of SDR (Software Defined Radio's) and are part of inexpensive small dongle "radio's" all the way up to the most expensive commercial Amateur and Professional radio's.

IC-7300 With No-Fill Spectrum
    Steve Ellington
    Published on Apr 27, 2016
    "Another way of changing the display to suit."

IC-7300 Increasing Waterfall Sensitivity
    Steve Ellington
    Published on Apr 28, 2016
    "If there is a signal present, the scope can show it if adjusted properly. Do not turn up REF too high, as I did at the end. That will obscure the signal with noise. 73"

Icom IC-7300 Spectrum Scope/Waterfall Options
    HamRadioConcepts
    Published on Mar 31, 2019
    "In this video, you can see what it can do for finding weak stations when you change and adjust your spectrum scope and waterfall. The 7300 is an amazing radio, with amazing features that are buried in this design. Check out the video for more."

I can't imagine no one at Oppo knew about this - China has a large and active radio hobbyist culture along with innovation and supply of such Waterfall Display radio's to a worldwide customer base.

I can't imagine how Oppo's booboo is going to get unnoticed by the world.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  4. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10/10+ Impressions: A Great Duo!

5. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    Samsung's Galaxy Unpacked 2019 Event in 11 Minutes

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  6. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    The LG V50 Smartphone Has Two Screens!

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    A great innovation by LG. Sound quality feels awful on internal speakers.

hmscott and Dr. AMK like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Samsung is starting shipment of their folding Fold smartphone:

Update 16 (9/4/19 @ 10:58 PM ET): We can finally declare this saga over, as the Samsung Galaxy Fold will officially go on sale in South Korea this Friday. The phone will launch internationally in the coming weeks.

How Did Samsung Fix The Galaxy Fold? [Hands-On]

MrMobile [Michael Fisher]
    Published on Sep 5, 2019
    First, a quick refresher on the Samsung Galaxy Fold timeline. November 2018, Samsung teases its first folding phone; February 2019, it’s officially announced; early-April, it hits reviewers’ hands … and by mid-April … it starts breaking. Like, a lot. Late April: Samsung delays pre-orders, pulls the units back and announced its plans to redesign the hardware to fix those issues.

Flash forward to early September, at IFA 2019 in Berlin: after four long months, I finally get to go hands-on with what I sincerely hope is Samsung's go-to-market fix. Because the redesigned Samsung Galaxy Fold is finally here ... and tomorrow, it will be back on store shelves. Join me for my first impressions of the "fixed" Galaxy Fold!

MrMobile's Galaxy Fold Fix / Galaxy Fold Re-Design Hands-On was produced following 40 minutes with a Samsung Galaxy Fold review sample at a Samsung press event at IFA 2019 in Berlin, Germany. MrMobile does not produce paid or sponsored reviews; Samsung was not offered copy approval and no compensation was requested or provided in exchange for this coverage.

Samsung Galaxy Fold launch delay timeline [XDA]:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-galaxy-fold-launch-delays/

How Samsung 'fixed' the Galaxy Fold
    The Verge
    Published on Sep 5, 2019
    Samsung’s Galaxy Fold had some major issues with the display and hinge back when we reviewed it in April. Samsung now thinks it has addressed the problems after making some key hardware changes to the protective film and hinge. We’re taking a first look at the Galaxy Fold changes. The phone will be available on September 18th in France, Germany, Singapore, and the UK, but Samsung hasn’t revealed an exact date for the US yet.
    Read more: https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/5/20850693/samsung-galaxy-fold-hands-on-ifa-2019-fixed-display-hinge

Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.
  9. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    But Can Your iPhone 11 Do THIS?!!

Vasudev, hmscott and Spartan like this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    MS does another phone, but is so shy about admitting it's a phone it doesn't call it a phone.

Did Microsoft just unveil a Surface PHONE?? Surface Duo!
    Android Authority
    Published on Oct 2, 2019

Microsoft Surface announcements in 15 minutes
    Neo and Duo @ 06:40

Engadget
    Published on Oct 2, 2019
    The biggest announcements and products from today's keynote.

Microsoft's Live Event - Starts @ 02:50
    Microsoft Surface
    Streamed live 9 hours ago
    See what’s next from Microsoft Surface at the #MicrosoftEvent in New York City.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.