All about Bezel-less and Foldable Smart Devices

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Dr. AMK, Feb 25, 2018.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Molding clay? Yup. The Verge didn't peel the screen protector off of their Samsung Fold, but they did use molding clay on the screen to prop up the phone for photo's... and some of the clay / residue could have dropped into the hinge and onto the back of the screen, making that "bulge" and causing the failure?

"Whatever happened, it certainly wasn’t because I have treated this phone badly. I’ve done normal phone stuff, like opening and closing the hinge and putting it in my pocket. We did stick a tiny piece of molding clay on the back of the phone yesterday to prop it up for a video shoot, which is something we do in every phone video shoot. So perhaps a tiny piece of that snuck into a gap on the back of the hinge and then around or through its cogs until it lodged in between the screen and the hinge. It’d be sort of like Charlie Chaplin getting caught in the gears in Modern Times.

Or maybe something got in another one of the little gaps somewhere else. Or maybe it was pieces from the hinge itself breaking loose and working their way up into the screen. I don’t know. I just know that the screen is broken, and there was no obvious proximate cause for the bulge that broke it. I certainly haven’t used it on a beach or shook it in a bag of chips or anything wild. Just normal use.
    "

Samsung Galaxy Fold - What's Actually Causing The Break?
    Lew Later
    Published on Apr 18, 2019
    The Samsung Galaxy Fold is the hottest thing in tech right now. Some reviewers are experiencing problems. Jon Rettinger and I discuss the durability of the Galaxy Fold and some of the potential causes of the broken Samsung Galaxy Fold phones.

Samsung's folding phone breaks for reviewers
    By Dave Lee, 18 April 2019
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47970788

""Whatever happened, it certainly wasn’t because I have treated this phone badly,"wrote Mr Bohn at The Verge.

"I’ve done normal phone stuff, like opening and closing the hinge and putting it in my pocket. We did stick a tiny piece of moulding clay on the back of the phone yesterday to prop it up for a video shoot, which is something we do in every phone video shoot.”"

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Dr. AMK, Convel and Vasudev like this.
  2. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That we agree on. I said in my post the Fold has a softer substrate so it can be folded.
    What's still not clear to me is how this "integral part", that sounds just like a normal screen protector, is any different from other pre-installed screen protectors.
    Yes, that's what's Samsung is now saying. It's not optional to keep it; it's mandatory. Maybe it actually was never intended as a replacable film, unlike previous phones, and just not clearly enough labeled, but I'm not convinced it's not also a bit of a distraction, considering one reviewer didn't remove the protective film and had display issues all the same. What's also strange, if the lack of labeling was just an oversight, is the adhesive they used. Surely they could have achieved the needed protection without the layer being peelable?
    Said protectors have not been considered "integral" to the display structure before, but yes. You can order replacements for pre-installed Samsung screen protectors on previous phones. Screen protectors have been considered prone to wear and user serviceable.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/m...-screen-protector-transparent-et-fg973ctegus/
    https://9to5google.com/2019/02/28/galaxy-s10-screen-protectors-warranty/
    Some people prefer the feel of directly touching the glass and the properties of its oleophobic coating. I'm one of them. My current phone shipped without a screen protector pre-installed and I never bothered to install one. It's held up fine, although the oleophibic coating has now worn off. Just a personal preference and I may reconsider in the future. Never could get used to screen protectors I used in the past, but I'm sure there are better alternatives out there now.
    Agreed. So far the news stories seem to revolve around a single official statement made by Samsung, with interpretations carried out. I'd love to hear what Samsung has to say after their investigation of the failed devices and hope it's something minor. Maybe the one failed device with the screen protector left on was just a lemon and the removal of it is indeed the cause. We'll see.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Samsung Galaxy Fold Officially DELAYED!
    SuperSaf
    Published on Apr 22, 2019
    The Samsung Galaxy Fold has been officially delayed following reports of screens breaking! Why is they and what does this mean? Let's break it down.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's a silly form factor anyways. Your phone is too small when folded to be useful, and to big when unfolded. Plus, no matter what the material, folding again and again will break it down.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think its re-hashed version of E90 communicator with OLED, big camera and battery. :p

kojack likes this.
  6. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    A Mistake Only Samsung Could Make

Vasudev likes this.
  7. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If this new Razr becomes reality and not too expensive, it might actually be worth checking out.. :)

Rendered images based on the patent applications and leaked press stuff do look interesting.
    [​IMG]

Dr. AMK, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    When I saw that Razr fold, it's the first phone in a while I've thought, "Hey, I'd like to have that one!".

The Motorola StarTAC phone line up through the last flip phone Razr's were some of my favorite designs.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Starlight5 and Vasudev like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Samsung Is Cancelling Unconfirmed Galaxy Fold Orders By May 31 (Update)
    Jesus Diaz, Updated May 7, 2019
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-fold-cancellation-may-31,news-30011.html
    "Samsung later gave the following statement to CNBC:
    "Samsung Electronics America is committed to keeping our customers informed on the status of their Galaxy Fold preorder. While we continue to make progress in enhancing the Galaxy Fold, a new release date has not yet been announced. Because of this, we have recently contacted our preorder customers to provide them information on their options as we move forward.

As per U.S. regulations, we are required to notify customers that their preorders will be cancelled in the event the product has not been shipped by May 31st. Samsung Electronics America is offering customers an option to keep their orders past this date and customers may also cancel their orders at any time.

Samsung values the trust our customers place in us and want to thank them for their patience and understanding.
    ”"

Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.
  10. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Living with Hope

Reputations:
    The Futuristic Lenovo Folding Screen Laptop

Starlight5, hmscott and Vasudev like this.