Alienware X51 Desktop Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Alienware Desktops' started by Game7a1, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Oh, my RX 480 never made it into the X51 chassis. It's only been in open-air and my new case, Thermaltake Core V1.
    The X51 discontinuing, while unfortunate, does make sense not only because of the Aurora but because of the Alpha as well. You can get the Alpha with a GTX 960 cheaper than you would with the X51. Sure, it'll have a weaker CPU and such, but smaller form factor + almost as powerful = bad time for the X51.

2. Zarfol

Zarfol Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep, unfortunately, the Alpha R2 with the 960 runs incredibly loud according to reviews and the graphics card is non upgradeable ( unless you use the amplifier). The amplifier is incredibly large for what it does honestly... surprised they haven't made one with an external PSU so it can sit nicely on a media center.

3. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How difficult was it to case swap? I have an amplifer hooked to my x51r3 and have had a few issues and rather just put it all in a new case. I am running an EVGA Classified 980ti (oversized card) so it does not even fit well in the amplifier. I was hoping the swap would be easy but I have read that other people have had issues with just swapping the case and I didn't want to run into any issues along the way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    It was pretty easy. Aside from having to look online for the case power button connector layout and such, it wasn't all that hard.
    Then again, I had help, so your mileage may vary.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.