Alienware with Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by robert77, Jul 24, 2017.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @rinneh
    That soft touch stuff sooooooo stupid to use. It actually reacts differently to different skin and sweat acidity (everyone's is a little different). Can also depend on diet.

I have oily skin, so it is hard to keep clean. I wish they just used the raw forged carbon that this thing is supposed to be made of.

No other competitor has better offering than the Samsung 13.3" OLED (there is no reason ever to get the enormously heavy AW 15 or 17 anyway). Besides IGZO IPS, everything else is from the stone age. Manufactures should be demanding better from suppliers; and pressure bezels have no reason to exist anymore.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    Maybe consider a palmrest sticker?

3. nedooo

nedooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I’d love to see a coffee lake CPUs and new ampere GPUs in Alienware laptops but don’t expect them anytime soon, I hope I’m wrong .

5. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    lol consumer volta GPUs haven't even been announced yet, and you're talking about ampere?

6. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Rumors have it that Volta will be skipped and go straight to ampere....lol

7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sorry, seeing this post quite late. But the 1070 and 1080 options alone are reasons enough for the 15 and 17 inch option. Also im not a believer yet in long term Oled use. Igzo is just a way of manufacturing and not a quality indication. Some of the igzo panels that razer used are bordering TN quality.

8. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Exactly. I've seen good TN panels, bad TN panels, good IPS panels, bad IPS panels, good IGZO panels, bad IGZO panels. The only bad OLED panels I've seen are the ones that get static burn in, but the colors are quite amazing, with an equally amazing response time. But I'm also waiting for the technology to mature before hopping on board. FWIW I have a PlayStation Vita with an OLED panel, it it's been running strong for years, and looks amazing still today.

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The burn in is exactly what worries me. And my vita is going strong for years as well. My samsung smartphones did exhibit burn in quite quickly for some reason. A good ips is still the way to go for mw. But m 27inch 165hz tn panel isnt bad either after calibration. Not so good vertical viewing angles though.

10. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have considered that, but I am concerned that long term exposure of the skins adhesive layer would still cause damage to the soft-touch material.
    The soft-touch material seems to have a very thin protective finish. Once that was worn, every time you try to clean the surface, it produces compounding microscratches in the material. Each successive cleaning will require heavier cleaning to rid all of the contaminates.

The point I am trying to convey is... Once the protective top layer is worn, the material has been compromised. From that point, it is only a matter of time till the finish is completely ruined. Of course, at which point the finish is beyond acceptable is subjective to the user.
    Unless... you never touch the soft-touch finish.