Alienware updates to 800 series cards

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Thrawn, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Kepler is GDDR5, but that's not new. I could be wrong, but I think all Kepler GPUs use GDDR5. If not all, at least those that I have used are. I looked at samples of my screen shots from benching and 580M (Fermi), 680M and 780M are all GDDR5 according to GPU-Z.

2. jtravapd

jtravapd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Waiting for anything in this hobby with have you with the same old computer you had before you started waiting. lol. Top stuff changes so quickly , if you say ill wait 6 months ect, in 6 months something else faster will be out..It really sucks balls, but its kinda what makes us have so much fun with it.

3. sticky

sticky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are these capable of running 3x 30 inch 2560x1440 monitors?

4. kh90123

kh90123 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are Kepler GPU that uses GDDR3. The type of memory used does not tell if it's Kepler architecture, in short, it has no relation. The type of memory used will affect the bandwidth.

Simple way to tell if it's Kepler, or Fermi, or Maxwell, is to read the GPU using GPU-Z. If it says GF-xxx, that's Fermi, if it says GK-xxx (the 780M is GK104), then it's Kepler, if it says GM-xxx, then it's Maxwell.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't actually ordered yet, waiting for Xotic or PowerNotebooks to make them available as well. Must have the 3% cash discount and tax benefits lol. I am however planning on bypassing the AW/Haswell/Shortbus Bios design issue by connecting my 880's directly to a nuclear accelerator that Johnksss and I are setting up in his BatCave, and then taking a run at Foxes numbers.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Ew sounds intriguing. Well some more people benching would be good to see. - there's a lot of space on the leader boards right now. I'm sure Mr Fox is salivating at the thought of a good old challenge too :p

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    GTX cards in the past all used GDDR5 4xx series and on. GT cards can use DDR3.

This time the GTX 850 can technically ship with DDR3 and would be the first one to break the above rule. 860M and above must use GDDR5.

8. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    Nope. GTX 860M Maxwell 4GB exist too. Gigabyte use it in their notebooks.
    http://i.imgur.com/mw7qyin.jpg

Congrats with the notebook though. Kinda sick to have so much power in a 13" notebook :p

Easy.
    Maxwell = Soldered
    Kepler = MXM module

Since Alienware doesn`t solder their GPUs, it is Kepler. And that chip sucks. I would like to play around with Maxwell 860M SLI while I waited for the real high end Maxwell, but GM107 doesn`t support SLI either. Because OEMs are not allowed to put the Maxwell 860M on a MXM where SLI connector exists...So the waiting continues... :/

Yeah man. I hate waiting. We are so close, yet it feels so far away.

I haven`t bought anything btw. I`m selling this notebook when Maxwell arrives. Hopefully the new Alienware 18 comes with a higher res than 1080p although I`m not holding my breath.
    I just know GTX 880MX SLI will be major overkill for 1080p....

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Overkill is one of my favorite things. Excess is never enough. :D

Why do you think Kepler sucks? Until something stronger than 780M or 880M comes along, there ain't nothing out there that is any better.

10. dandan112988

dandan112988 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    im disappointed that alienware have nothing interesting to announce this year besides new gpus. Was hoping they updated and revised their disastrous 18 from last year and made is a true sucessor to the m18x r2. Guess not... getting frustrated :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.