1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

alienware ultrabook

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by ghegde, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    do you guys think Dell would make a 13" alienware ultrabook with these specs + amd /nvidia gpu?

http://www.ausbt.com.au/the-ultrabooks-are-coming-super-thin-laptops-for-travellers

2. Moriarty

Moriarty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't believe so, thin and light doesn't really sit well with Alienware's design philosophy not to mention that the m11x has yet to be hotly contested from elsewhere and that the newly released m14x isn't going anywhere soon, they might slim the latter down a bit though, who knows?

3. clienterror

clienterror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My m14x with an i7 gets hot enough, you wont to put even worse cooling in it? Not gonna happen. Basically it sounds like a Alienware Air?

It might be possible if you had a m11x i7 in there and really low end graphic option if not just intel 3000 integrated, in which place they'd never do because the whole point of the alienware line is to game and that couldn't game at all.,

4. pudgzilla

pudgzilla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    nah...the 14x fills that niche well enough

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sure, Dell sells the Latitude 13/Vostro V13/V130.

If a laptop that small was ever made, it would have integrated graphics, and would not be worth of the Alienware name. IF it had discreet graphics it would be throttled all the time to the point where it wouldn't be useful in any sort of gaming environment.

Point in case? Ultrabooks are meant for computing on the go, not gaming on the go. Need the lightest gaming notebook? Look at an M11x or an Acer TimelineX.

6. Solidous_Snake

Solidous_Snake Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    An Alienware ultrabook could work. Imagine an ultrabook like the Asus Zenbook and add a docking station with a swappable GPU, cooling, ports. Why wouldn't it work?

The ultrabooks out now can keep up with moderate gaming as it is, but when you need max specs, your docking station is there. I would love to see it made out of Carbon Fiber.

7. Defengar

Defengar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only way an AW ultrabook could work is if AW jumped on the external GPU bandwagon.

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Temporarily Unavailable Moderator

Reputations:
    An Alienware Ultrabook? Gee, that's like an oxymoron. Alienware Ultrabook... meh! Is that like a "high-performance" moped?

Small keyboard, small screen, small performance... big price... massive failure.

If you want that kind of thing, just buy a $199 Google tablet for web surfing and spend the money saved on better CPU/GPU in the beast.

google.jpg

9. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That would be the case: ultrabooks do suck. Follow Fox's advice and get a nice tablet if you need portability (although the market is saturated with crappy ones so be careful/selective). "Portability" in case of ultrabooks/tablets simply means browsing the net and reading some ebooks and nothing more anyway.

10. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    The mind set of going thin help portability really bug me, I just dun get it. It's not like it is going into the jean pocket or something. Going light I can understand..

11. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Big, bold and bad is always best for enthusiasts. Thin and light is akin to arming troops with BB guns. ;)

12. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Talking tablets, Nokia is supposed to release a new one in Q4 designed in a similar way to N9, meaning a single piece of (black) polycarbonate body. IMO N9's design matches/complements black AW laptops quite fine (I own two black N9s) so it seems this new tablet will prolly too.

If you don't know how N9 looks like (I am not really sure if it's available in the US), here's a picture:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

More pics here.

13. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Let's stick to high performance gaming systems, shall we?

14. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    See, let's take a look at the M11x as an "ultrabook" with dGPU and ULV CPU. It's still rather thick as it has to properly cool all the components, so it will never be thin as an ultrabook. And M11x never featured a real gaming GPU, GT335M and GT540M aren't even close to mid/high end dGPU, and it was not MXM, so forget about Alienware ultrabook.

15. Defengar

Defengar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the M11x was more of a super powered netbook than an ultrabook.

16. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The only half decent tablet out there, in my opinion; is the Samsung Series 7 Slate.

Has a full OS (Win 7), and can hook up to a docking station and bluetooth/USB keyboard to play moderate games at moderate game-play.
    It has integrated graphics, so it works okay... I don't own one... But I'm drooling over getting one shipped from the US, much cheaper (I want it for Photoshop sketching, it is a pressure sensitive tablet to 512 levels, a portable Cintiq of sorts)...

The M11X is a real beast though. I can't imagine Dell pumping out a new model (different sized) computer for a while...

17. Defengar

Defengar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the slates pretty cool, but Microsofts Windows 8 surface (high end model) will be the first true tablet PC.

a 10.1 inch tablet with a full Windows 8 OS and office, large amounts of memory, a usb 3.0, an i5 processor, and a built in stand, all in a package almost as thin as an Ipad and less than a pound and a half, and the screen protector is also the keyboard.

Its the nail in the coffin for netbooks. Hell, its better than a lot of full laptops.

[​IMG]

It won't be able to do serious gaming by any means, but apparently it will be able to do light stuff like TF2, and the civ series.

18. MICHAELSD01

MICHAELSD01 Apple/Alienware Master

Reputations:
    Apple's new MacBook Pro shows that it would be possible for Alienware to make an ultra-thin Ultrabook. It's .71" thick with a 650M. They could meet a 14" size and stay under the .86" required thickness if they follow Apple's design. The next M14x should be a huge upgrade. In fact, Alienware could do with a slimming across the board and still keep comparable video cards, other manufacturers have proved it.

19. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    But, the question is, comparable to what? A single 650M is not really all that powerful. A 1080p screen, Extreme CPU and 7970M or 680M GPU in something that meets the Ultrabook design standard is not possible. There is not enough space for the parts to fit, cooling would be next to impossible and the screen would be too small to be usable. For some, even the M18x screen is too small, LOL.

There's no way to have a truly high performance system in an Ultrabook form factor. The size alone is the antithesis of "high performance" computing. In concept and design, an Ultrabook is the paradigm of compromise. Historically, Alienware systems haven't been geared toward compromise and I hope they never go that direction any more than they already have. The already offer a more than adequate compromise of performance for smaller size in the M14x. A best practice for any business is to focus on what you do well and nail it, rather than to get off in left field with things that are only distractions from what is core to success.

It would be counterintuitive for Alienware to offer something as mundane and unexciting as an Ultrabook. Plus, there are plenty of excellent options already available from Dell in an Ultrabook, so I really don't see any legitimate business reason for them to make a product that would directly compete for sales against a product they already offer.

Dell Inspiron and XPS Ultrabooks

20. Caladdon

Caladdon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its more than possible if we can engineer the correct parts.

13inch Ultraportable.

Ditch the Hard Drive and Optical Drive.
    Invest in some experimental SD Card storage for games.
    Use ULV Ivybridge processors to conserve battery life and cooling.

Fit an HD 7970m card in the machine.

This is not as far fetched as you think.