alienware ultrabook

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by ghegde, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ghegde

ghegde Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    do you guys think Dell would make a 13" alienware ultrabook with these specs + amd /nvidia gpu?

http://www.ausbt.com.au/the-ultrabooks-are-coming-super-thin-laptops-for-travellers

2. Moriarty

Moriarty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't believe so, thin and light doesn't really sit well with Alienware's design philosophy not to mention that the m11x has yet to be hotly contested from elsewhere and that the newly released m14x isn't going anywhere soon, they might slim the latter down a bit though, who knows?

3. clienterror

clienterror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My m14x with an i7 gets hot enough, you wont to put even worse cooling in it? Not gonna happen. Basically it sounds like a Alienware Air?

It might be possible if you had a m11x i7 in there and really low end graphic option if not just intel 3000 integrated, in which place they'd never do because the whole point of the alienware line is to game and that couldn't game at all.,

4. pudgzilla

pudgzilla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    nah...the 14x fills that niche well enough

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sure, Dell sells the Latitude 13/Vostro V13/V130.

If a laptop that small was ever made, it would have integrated graphics, and would not be worth of the Alienware name. IF it had discreet graphics it would be throttled all the time to the point where it wouldn't be useful in any sort of gaming environment.

Point in case? Ultrabooks are meant for computing on the go, not gaming on the go. Need the lightest gaming notebook? Look at an M11x or an Acer TimelineX.

6. Solidous_Snake

Solidous_Snake Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    An Alienware ultrabook could work. Imagine an ultrabook like the Asus Zenbook and add a docking station with a swappable GPU, cooling, ports. Why wouldn't it work?

The ultrabooks out now can keep up with moderate gaming as it is, but when you need max specs, your docking station is there. I would love to see it made out of Carbon Fiber.

7. Defengar

Defengar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only way an AW ultrabook could work is if AW jumped on the external GPU bandwagon.

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Overclocked | Overvolted Moderator

Reputations:
    An Alienware Ultrabook? Gee, that's like an oxymoron. Alienware Ultrabook... meh! Is that like a "high-performance" moped?

Small keyboard, small screen, small performance... big price... massive failure.

If you want that kind of thing, just buy a $199 Google tablet for web surfing and spend the money saved on better CPU/GPU in the beast.

google.jpg

9. DarkSkies

DarkSkies Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That would be the case: ultrabooks do suck. Follow Fox's advice and get a nice tablet if you need portability (although the market is saturated with crappy ones so be careful/selective). "Portability" in case of ultrabooks/tablets simply means browsing the net and reading some ebooks and nothing more anyway.

10. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    The mind set of going thin help portability really bug me, I just dun get it. It's not like it is going into the jean pocket or something. Going light I can understand..