Alienware UFO

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ThatOldGuy, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    120HZ is just for daily things anyways to be fair

2. Monsignor_Eduardo

Monsignor_Eduardo Newbie

Reputations:
    Well if you can link to a dock aka the grafic amplifier.
    On the other hand 120 hz is great but dont go 4k i rader want a 2k screen of full hd oled .
    And to top it with Linux support so we don't have windows taking resources and we can emulate whatever we want.

Terreos and hmscott like this.
  3. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    LTSC > Linux for daily usage, especially for a console like this that needs every bit of performance DX can give

4. Monsignor_Eduardo

Monsignor_Eduardo Newbie

Reputations:
    Well just give linux support at least the touch screen drivers.

5. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I was thinking it would be in the $999 range. But, with crappy specs like 8gb or ram and a tiny m.2 drive. So 16gb would probably be in your estimate I guess.

I’m really hoping they don’t make the mistake of not having the graphics amp port. I think that would be a death sentence if they didn’t.

6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Al long as the USB C is thunderbolt it can use an eGPU. But your right in that it would Alienate a lot of Alienware Amp owners.

I highly doubt it can be possible to be on this thing... Biggest issue is the port size and 'inflexibility'.

Ports on this thing have to be on the top or bottom. The Amp cable is very inflexible and heavy and the port would take up all the space on the top.

Now if the made a special dock (with Amp Port connection) that connects to the bottom, that would work. But now you are talking more $$$ for accessories.

Terreos likes this.
  7. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I think Alienware would be smart enough to have thunderbolt on it. It only seems to be Asus who doesn’t have it for some weird reason. But the Graphics amp just performs better so obviously I want that option. ;)

I didn’t consider that. Hmm. They did have a dock of sorts at the show so that might be something they would do. Too the right person though it would be a great device. So the cost would justify if they made it as flexible as possible. Only other thing I can think of maybe put it on the back where the kick stand comes out. If the device is thick enough. Can’t say I’d have faith in that idea either honestly.

Personally I would be ok with it being on the top or bottom and laying it down on a table. I’d have it hooked up to everything I’d need on the Amp itself. Or you know. . .prey for a gen 2 with Ryzen parts and not that garbage intel integrated gpu. :eek:

hmscott likes this.
  8. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would probably buy this thing. I think it looks cool and would pair so nicely with the Switch as it is. I'm sure Steam in home streaming would work well enough as well.

I think it would be neat to have a low end model for esports games/low end games/in home streaming while also having a higher end model. Depending on price, I would consider getting the cheapest SKU if it could do AAA games of the year it is released at least on low.

9. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Release date ?

10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just a concept. IF (big IF) it where to happen this year... Alienware has a habit to release new stuff around September after Gamescon

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.