Alienware TactX vs Logitech G9 little comparision

Discussion in 'Side Topics' started by kitir, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitir

kitir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When Alienware announced TactiX mouse I thought at least there will be mouse nicer than Logitech's G9 with similar possibilities ... then I didn't know possibilities will be exactly the same because it is internally G9. Precisely, it is her twin sister. Produced and developed by Logitech, but sold by Alienware. Younger sister, so prettier indeed, but also "slightly thinner".

Logitech G9 and G9x:
    In fact, I have a G9, which is the first generation of Logitech's mouse. Its maximum range resolution is 3200dpi. G9x is practically the same mouse, but its laser reaches the 5000dpi resolution, as in the Alienware mouse - so more honest comparison is TactX to G9x in fact. G9 and G9x do not differ in the shape - both can be considered in the same way and that's I'm writing about.
    Alienware TactX mouse - Logitech in the Alien skin
    TactX is produced for Alienware by Logitech and it is internally identical to the G9x. From the outside, it recalls G9, and the biggest difference is not switchable housing and no possibility to change the weight. In terms of the mouse driver is identical, with one small (but important I think) exception.

G9 / G9x
    Appearance is a matter of taste - I like it.
    Interchangeable housing resulted in a clear step on the back of the main keys, but it is unrecognizable under the fingers.
    According to disadvantages, there is little restricted possibility to change the resolution by the middle of fingers because buttons intended for that change are aligned with the surface of the display, and pressing involves the use of precision (finger tips). It can be done quickly, but not very_quickly.
    The display shows exactly what is needed - which of the five degrees of resolution (which we set ourselves) is currently selected - by appropriate bars - and which of the five possible profiles is currently on (talking about the display color, which of course we set ourselves to each profile).
    G9 has the ability to balance by the weights. The system of weights just works. After setting of your own balance you can forget about the rest of weights.
    TactX
    There is much better with the look, especially if you are an Alienware fan ;). Mice received the shapes to blend with the AW style, has AW logo, which glows when you connect to the notebook.
    Mouse does not have interchangeable overlays, but it is not a disadvantage - it is absolutely perfect in my hand and feels better than G9 wide overlay (!). It is more rounded up and better fills the arc in the middle of my hand. For me it is ergonomically perfect.
    The big advantage over G9 is otherwise designed button that changes the resolution. I can really change res on the fly - both ends are made with a small cussion in a circular shape - and I'm always able to smoothly change res without lifting finger from the main button.
    Display ... a little step backwards. Of course, still shows which of the five degrees of resolution (which we set ourselves exactly same as in the G9) is currently selected - by the lit tasteful glyphs - but to recognize which of the five profiles is currently on, you have to press the button for change them (placed bottom of the mouse) - than the logo starts to blink and the display switches to showing the selected profile. Way of change is the same as the G9, but does not switch the display color - it is determined globally by Command Center. Is this defect? No, but having already G9 I gained some habits. Taking up the game, one sight and I know if I need to change profile - in TactX I have to lift the mouse and press the button. Hopefully both the G9 and TactX can detect "fired" apps and switch itself to the appropriate profile (but only on computer with installed mouse driver app).
    The second major difference compared to the G9 is the lack of weights. Mouse is a well-balanced in medium by the manufacturer and ... I like it very much. So much I took off the mass from my G9 to be more similar to TactiX.

Very small differences exist in the controller, which is generally the same for both devices. Already during the installation you can see the similarity (in both cases, the installer is digitally signed by Logitech) - after installation, we feel like at home because all the sliders and switches are exactly the same.
    A driver is quite complicated, in which virtually everything can be set - and it is very convenient. Determining degrees of resolution by the sliders on the axis is super comfortable. The only noticeable difference is the color of the background of application - in G9/G9x is gray and in TactX everything is in black (which I personally like much more).
    Only difference in switches inside the driver is with mouse display color settings corresponding to the profile (existing in the G9/G9x and dissapeared in the TactX).
    The rest is the same - even recording module for macros.

hope you enjoy

K.

(pictures are clickable)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blazertrek50

Blazertrek50 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great analysis. I also have both of these mouse(s) and I really like them both but enjoy using the Alienware mouse better because of the "look" and also the feel in my hand. I think the side buttons (left side) are more pronounced and defined than on the G9.

3. Glzmo

Glzmo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good comparison/review. I had both these mice and I liked them, but they had to give way to the G500 which blows them away in comfort (at least in my hand) and functionality. The G9x and the TactX do both look better in tandem with the M17x, though. :)
    They are all great mice and kinda feel like siblings. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.