Alienware Response To 'Blade'?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by vikingrinn, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobodyshero

nobodyshero Notebook Speculator

Reputations:
    I had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't looking at a HP Envy, and yes chiclet keys are just bad in general.

I do agree however that AW should make a far more casual gamer option for the 17' range (yes I mean even slimmer and lighter then the M17xr3 already is). The M18x has become my desktop for all intents and purposes but for whatever reason I don't really dig the M14x and its size, wish I could buy a very slim 17' or a slim 15' to complement it instead.

2. Freestylaruk

Freestylaruk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Razer Blade - The World's First True Gaming Laptop | Razer™ | For Gamers. By Gamers.™

Click the above and wish away if you have not already seen it LOL....I think it most likely this will be my next machine. Sick and tired of the Macbook Pro 2011 weakness the OS is not all that and bootcamping to windows is also a nonsense, Apple fans can say what they like, Macs are weak well at least for me, whilst Alienware well have that too and portability was always a huge issue as well as battery life....this is why some of us have two machines trying to have the best of both worlds and NOW ......BOOM..(link above) now imagine if they did a Nebula Red in that etc and had multi colours on the Keyboard....PERFECT. I Luuuuuurv the LCD Colour Display (Glass Touch) mouse and user config Colour LCD macro buttons.... being a bit of a geek, this machine is seriously NICE... hope it delivers...

Freestylaruk

3. Freestylaruk

Freestylaruk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Personally think Razor hit nail on head, maybe not hard enough yet, have good opportunity to do that later only hope they dont do it the AW method ;-) trail, test it (for hours properly with real gamers) and send out working machines for some of us first takers PLEASE.. would be appreciated, but they have hit the nail hard enough to get some attention, they have mine at least.

Looks nice (better than MBP) even if its similar, am no fan of anything, just like stuff that looks & works & well longterm, cant say will perform bad at first glance, nearly went for a new Alienware laptop, but not happening now...would like to give this a chance instead just like I did with the new M17X when first saw it.

Need to wait for full specs & options to see offer on formal release, yep pricey but so was the new M17X being around £4k+ fully loaded but there was a history, RB need a history, drop the price HINT HINT as it seems to be a bigger concern than anything else with a few, need to build some reputation first. If they play cards right could easily take a fair share of not just Mac but also AW consumers to be, but done sensibly and products got to deliver.

it seems Razor are aiming for the middle to upper ground and in truth even if it does not grab the ultimate FPS (have both extremes), this could easily become the most used machine I get my hands on. Dont forget even the best human eye cannot tell the difference past a fluid 25-30FPS... cannot see the RB getting worse...only better with time if this is first attempt and no matter how many want to knock it...yes mouse LCD pad could be better placed (personally use a gaming mouse anyway so not really bothered) and maybe a number pad added, I still think it looks and sounds good enough to go for.

I feel a little like I felt, when I first laid eyes on the New M17x. Was one of the first lucky 10 or so to get a fully loaded one in the UK but it eventually went back, was rubbish!, then waited until a few MAJOR problems were ironed out and settled with a fully loaded M17X R2 and paid less for it, which turned out a superb machine and still going strong today, but that first experience was a BAD one and one that cannot be forgotten.

Razor.. if you chaps read this, last paragraph, last sentence........ All for it so far... else its coming straight back at ya ;-), cant be fairer than that.

Freestylaruk

4. hieu1004

hieu1004 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am interested to see how this will play out with the official release. It looks pretty neat, but I have my doubts.

5. stu.artd

stu.artd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It looks nice, but I fear the GPU's underpowered for decent framerates on new and upcoming games on a full HD screen.

6. /Drakk_

/Drakk_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I find the Blade, as it is now, somewhat underwhelming and lackluster.

In terms of power it's about equivalent to an m14x with the GT555m, and even then it'll most likely seem weaker since it has to output to a 1080p screen. With the form factor it has, not only will heat likely be an issue, but everything is likely to be integrated, meaning no graphics upgrades.

The screen-touchpad is a novel idea, but...does anyone seriously play games with a touchpad (by preference, over a mouse)? I don't see the macro row being useful in anything other than MMO. Shifting interfaces or map view to the smaller screen I could get on board with...but again, only for MMO and maybe RTS, seeing as taking your eyes off the main screen in FPS is rarely ever a good idea.

Next, the price. Lots of it is probably due to the custom built screen-touchpad and the metal casing. For that price, though? I expect a hell of a lot more storage space than 320GB, or at least an SSD of about that size. And a card more powerful than a GT555m.

Lastly, the mac-themed design. I don't like it. I'll probably catch some disagreement over this, but it's a gaming laptop...and costs that much...I'd personally want it to be a little more aggressively styled, a few more hard angles and strong outlines rather than rounded corners. And chiclet keyboards. I cannot stand them. Why people find it such a good idea to have a thin grid separating each key I do not know. That, and the keys themselves which offer absolutely no contouring. Also, that awful crime against the arrow keys where they squash the up and down arrows into the space of one key.

7. hockeymass

hockeymass that one guy

Reputations:
    It's underpowered for newer games (especially for something labeled as a gaming computer) and it's overpriced (chief complaint about PC gaming).

I fail to see what nail they hit on the head. Except, of course, for the fail nail.

8. Moriarty

Moriarty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For the money I think the Razer Blade is one of the most laughable laptop devices I've ever seen, especially given it's intended market.

It's deemed the world's first gaming laptop or one that is truly portable, yet it's an unbalanced marriage of middling and mediocre hardware specifications tied to a rather unwieldy and large chassis. I wouldn't want something that big whilst travelling, personally.

Is a 17" really that portable anyway? For me it isn't. Just too big, furthermore... Is a machine with a paltry two hours of battery life, for gaming, really that 'portable'?

This machine suffers the same issues that the much maligned DTR replacements face, namely power consumption issues and also being rather large, so Razer's PR lambasts current laptops for not being innovative enough yet their effort suffers from the same pitfalls. Other than a dubious replacement for the numberpad what is it offering that's really new? The design reminds me of HP's Envy line which for the first generation were notorious for overheating.

I'd be more forgiving of these issues were it not for the agressive and plain nonsense marketing and exorbitant price point, Alienware seems reasonable by comparison and I never ever thought that I would one day contemplate an Alienware actually being considerably more value for money over a competitor!
    In the current economic climate a machine like this just strikes me as plain mad, especially for a company with next to no experience in developing PC systems.
    Is a much vaunted $3000 laptop going to save PC gaming? No. Actually, given the hype I was expecting an affordable yet somewhat capable PC gaming machine, instead I hear of a somewhat capable PC gaming machine that has a price tag that is (and Alienware would be proud!) 'out of this world'.
    A $3000 PC and they are showing off League of Legends on it, bonkers.

EDIT:- That said, it does look swish.

9. nhyvt

nhyvt Newbie

Reputations:
    Amen to that.

10. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:
    People: to clarify the reason behind chiclet keyboard:

Apple uses chiclet keyboard because it is proven to be easier for users with long nails. Hence by separating each keys with small gap, the nails will not be pressing on keys the user did not intend.

It 100% makes sense for Macs because many many women, ladies who just do normal websurfing use it and therefore also many people with long nails.

HOWEVER, it does not make any sense for a gaming laptop... Can you imagine a really hot girl with really long nails, perhaps also manicured in red, opening these up to play starcraft of Call of Duty?

No. I do not think so.

At this point, obviously Razor followed apple's design without questioning the functionality. Although, for users with NO long nails wont find it technically any harder to use, it just shows how unoriginal they are.

I agree with all of the comments about the underpowered GPU. The gpu might handle MW3 and Battlefield 3 in 1080p Max setting with around 25-30fps which is playable, but the games of next generation about these games (around when Ivy bridge is around the corner), the users will DEFINITELY have to compromise 1080p OR xAA for a very smooth frame rate.

Had razor put in a 560m and above with quad core with a built in CD drive (since pc gaming obvously need cd disk unless u have illegally downloaded through torrent), and lasted added a normal touch pad, this would have been a very very solid laptop....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.