Alienware R4 2017 - Are these normal temps?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by gunbolt, Oct 16, 2017.

1. gunbolt

gunbolt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello Guys, whats up?
    Recently I´ve bought a R4 2017 with the 7820hk and the GTX 1070.

I am experiencing some weird CPU temps for example:

3D Mark - Fire Extreme / Time Spy
    Max temp of the GTX 1070 is 67 celsius
    Max temp of the 7820HK is 92-93 celsius

Dell Stress Test 15 min
    Max temp of the GTX 1070 is 67 celsius
    Max temp of the 7820HK is 94 celsius

Prime95 (only CPU)
    Max temp of 7820HK is 73 celsius

and when I am playing (Overwatch, PUBG, BF1 and R6 Siege) both using GTX 1070 and the CPU, the temp of the CPU reaches 94 celsius.

So when the GPU and CPU are being stressed at the same tim the CPU is almost reaching its max temperature.

I want to know if this is normal or if I should call Dell support due some heatsink issues or design flaws.
    I am using the latest version of the BIOS 1.19 I believe.

the CPU should be getting lower temps and the GPU should be getting highter temps... LOL

Thanks

Stefano

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    CPu temps are too high consider doing a repaste.

gunbolt likes this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's because Dell thought it was a brilliant idea to combine 2 heatsinks with the GPU and CPU. If you use both you considerably warm up both.

[​IMG]

You can try to repaste, I highly doubt it will help to much tho.

gunbolt and Vasudev like this.
  4. gunbolt

gunbolt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, I believe it will not do a lot of difference, but in this cases for this design these temps are normal?
    I mean... CPU so much hotter than GPU.

I am worries with thermal throttling since I use a FHD screen and its rare to see the 1070 on99% usage. So the effort goes to the CPU.

Is there a chance of assembling issues (motherboard X chassi X heatsinks ? Is it worth the try? Or these temps and behavior and under the specification?

Stefano

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk Pro

5. gunbolt

gunbolt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey but if you see the VGA the max temp is 67 celsius, only CPU is suffering.

If I ran a CPU stress test it does got far than 73 celsius

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk Pro

6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Again, you can try and repaste, no harm in doing that.

When looking at notebookcheck it seems the temps are pretty expected. There are massive throttling going on on stresstest, even on gaming like witcher 3 the notebook would throttle and reach extremely high temps. The ingenious developers made a cooling system that would transfer the heat from the graphicscard on to the CPU to heat it up instead of cooling it down.

I rate a solid 10/10.
    Here is a screen of furmark only
    [​IMG]
    This is the GTX 1080 version, but it tells the same story, GPU heating the CPU up, good job dell. First you put the mosfets next to the GPU an CPU on your XPS series, then you decide to warm your CPU up in your Alienware models.

I can't help but feel that Dell thought it was a good idea to hire monkeys around of the year of 2015 and fire their emploies because they wanted to save money somewhere, meanwhile they completely destroy their own reputation. Sure the old Alienware models werent perfect either *cough* harddisk next to GPU *cough*, but this disaster is getting worse and worse.

Vasudev and gunbolt like this.
  7. gunbolt

gunbolt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Danish...yeah..its shame, I´ve waited like 3-4 years to buy an Alienware (before I used to buy Asus) to have problems like these.
    The thing is, in my case is worse because I have a FHD screen and the CPU gets very hot while the GPU reaches at most 67 celsius.

My CPU can't go more than 3.4Ghz, since at least without any OC it should be reaching 3.9.
    Again, Its been worse than a 7700K, I cant have the full potential of the VGA because of the resolution and also the CPU because of the overheating.
    :/

I will see if I can open it up or just call Dell.

Thanks guys!

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    You think you have it worse because you got a FHD screen? It has absolutely nothing to do with that, if anything, the people wiht a 4K screen got it even worse since they use GPU even harder. As you can see on your own benchmarks on Prime95, this is completely GPU related, even tho 1080p requires more CPU power, the fact that the GPU heats the CPU up is downright concerning. I don't even know how they are allowed to sell these things. You have like mid 95s on overwatch etc, if u had 2k or 4k screen u'd be at full on throttle 99c.

Please tell us how the whole support thing went, since I've heard a lot of bad stories about dell support and am legit curious if u're going through the same.

9. gunbolt

gunbolt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Guys, I´ve ran several tests including Furmark, Unigine, 3D Mark (Fire Strike, Time Spy and Sky Diver), Dell Support Assist Tests and Prime 95.

Below is what I have concluded so far:

- Dell Support Assist 15 min stress tests raises the CPU temp until 94 degrees, but no Thermal Throttling yet. :|

- Furmark (same tests as our colleague Danish did), CPU never passes 90 Celsius :|

- Prime95, CPU never passes 73 Celsius :)

- 3D Mark (All tests put the CPU around 92 Celsius) :|

- Unigine (Several tests with different resolutions put the CPU around 88 Celsius) :)

1. The VGA temps never passes 67 Celsius in ANY tests / games. :)
    2. The clock never passes 3.7 GHz (Never reached 3.9 GHz in any circumstance) - You guys know the cause?

3. For sure one of the issues its the heat-sink design sharing between CPU and GPU the same duct.

So before I raise a ticket at Dell I will try to play as much games I can during the weekend and let you guys know.

Thanks

Stefano

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    You do realize that Furrmark is a GPU only test right? It shouldn't even raise the temp even close to 90c in the first place.