Alienware or Clevo

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by scooberdoober, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooberdoober

scooberdoober Penguins FTW!

Reputations:
    I ordered an Alienware 17 R5 laptop. It just arrived, and I haven't even opened the box yet, and I might not even bother. From what I've seen, these units have a lot of comparability issues with the Samsung EVO and PRO SSD line, and that's a very big deal to me, because those are the only drives I want to use.

Since finding all this out I've been looking around, and now I'm thinking I might be better off and happier if I return this Alienware to Dell and go with a custom built Clevo instead. Not only is the Clevo I'm looking at comparable with the Samsung EVO and PRO SSD line, they can actually be ordered with them preinstalled. And I'm assuming there is no proprietary Command Center software I have to be concerned with.

The two Clevo resellers and models I'm looking at are these,

1.) XOTICPC - Sager NP9175 (CLEVO P775TM-G)

2.) HIDevolution - EVOC High Performance Systems P775TM1 17.3"

Am I on the right track here?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You mean compatible?

Shouldnt be much reason why the R5 cant support 860 EVO or PRO ssd's, news to me but I dont have an ear to the ground either.

3. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agree with @TheReciever but those Clevo's will perform better/run cooler but overall feel/look worse in general

4. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Get a Clevo AKA EVOC from HIDevolution and offer it with the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut thermal paste. They are a Prema partner so you'll get the Prema BIOS with it for free.

Email donald@hidevolution.com to get the NBR discount

5. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    HIDevolution - EVOC High Performance Systems P775TM1 17.3"

6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

As far as I know, recent Alienware laptops have some noticeable cooling problems. They used to make them a lot better, I don't know what happened to Dell recently.
    Anyway, these are some similar laptops to the one you want to buy: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

The Clevo P775 is among the most powerful laptops on the market. However, the high-end Clevo laptops with the desktop processors are known to throttle and have trouble cooling themselves out of the box, so I suggest you either opt for the cooling mod of XoticPC or HidEvolution or you do it yourself
    A good alternative to the high-end Clevo laptops is the MSI GT75 series.

Arrrrbol likes this.
  7. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    P775TM with HID, you won't regret it.

And personally I prefer the more subdued Clevo style to MSI/Alienware

8. scooberdoober

scooberdoober Penguins FTW!

Reputations:
    And here we go, straight from Dell Technical support,

"We have reviewed your online request, the samsung evo drive is not compatible with the system as it has shown to have issues of performance with the system."

Three are also reports of them not even showing up in the BIOS. Needless to say this new unopened laptop is being returned right away. Dell really needs to get this sorted and fast for their own good.

Now I just need to decide on who I'm going with for the new Clevo I'm buying and place the order. Thanks for everyone's help so far, and I'm looking forward to any more help and advice you can share.

Arrrrbol, t456 and Blacky like this.
  9. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    get it from HIDevolution as they do the best thermal paste applications in the business in addition to getting superior customer service and lifetime tech support.

EVOC High Performance Systems P775TM1 17.3" Custom Built Gaming Laptop w/ nVIDIA GTX 1060, 1070 or 1080

also don't forget that they are a Prema Partner so you would get the Prema BIOS depending on which model you choose.

• Restores user ability to overclock or underclock the CPU
    • Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency
    • Restores ability to control non-turbo CPU core ratio
    • Restores ability to control CPU c-states and p-states
    • Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency
    • Restores ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology functionality
    • Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior
    • Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality
    • Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles
    • Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired
    • Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization
    • Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features
    • Restores control over Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 configuration
    • Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates the need to physically remove non-OS drives when installing a new OS.

Email donald@hidevolution.com before you order though to get the NBR Forum discount

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Take a look on the Clevo P870TM model (You can get it with Single or Sli graphics). HIDevolution is a great place for the purchase. They offer Prema firmware, quality support/warranty, the big Sli heatsink if you go for single graphics + all types mods.
    None ssd’s work properly in the newer Alienware’s. I talk mostly about the performance. You won’t get the correct speed the ssd’s offer.

Btw... https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/Alienware-17-R5-SSD-Compatibility/td-p/6200312

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.