1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Alienware New Model Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by BatBoy, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

What Else!!! :D :D :D

2. Thierry19

Thierry19 Coffee enthusiast

The R3 doesn't support SLI or Crossfire. The M18x will..!
    Though the 6970 is a hell of a performer, you are gonna enjoy it even if it doesn't have a twin! :p

Correct me if I'm wrong but this commercial looks like to be for the M17x R1...

3. Birdmanicus

Birdmanicus Newbie

That's what I'm hoping for.... I am a big Diablo fan, and I hope that when
    it finally comes out, I can just take it on the go with this new laptop.

Funny thing... I came here strictly for information on the new M11x r3, then
    I progressed to the m14x, and now I've settled on the m17x r3. The m18x
    looks amazing, but I fear that one will be out of my $2200 max laptop
    budget.

And yes, I think you're right... That has to be an earlier commercial.

Thanks!

-Birdmanicus

4. Pion2099

Pion2099 Notebook Consultant

Wait, there's no 3D on the 485m SLI?

5. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

Okay, this is going to get a little bit confusing...there are a LOT of different M17x models.

Several years ago, they had the area-51 m17x, which looked completely different from the current one. Then there was the M17, which also looked completely different. Then they released the "All-Powerful M17x", now known as the M17x R1 ('R1' for first revision), which also featured the design seen on all the current Alienware notebooks. They then updated it with the first gen i7 processors, in the M17x R2.

All of the above supported at least one form of SLi/Crossfire.

The current M17x, the M17x R3, was a major update to it. They completely changed the machine. And this time around it only has one GPU slot: no SLi or Crossfire.

If you want SLi or Crossfire you have to go with the M18x, which will soon be released.

It'll support 3D but unlike the M17x R3 there's no internal 3D display, you have to use an external monitor for that.

6. Ryan 23

Ryan 23 Notebook Evangelist

Apparently the only way of getting 3d through the M18x will be via an external 3d capable display

7. Sir_Gawain

Sir_Gawain Notebook Consultant

Anyone have a guess as to how long it will be untill its for sale?

8. Thierry19

Thierry19 Coffee enthusiast

Soon, the websites are pretty much ready..
    M18x
    M14x
    M11x R3

Btw: Lol at the fake review of the M14x :p This lucky dude got a 1080p screen!

9. Pion2099

Yeah that's fine, I have a TV for that (it's 3D, has glasses, all that, and supported by nvidia), I just got worried that 3D didn't work in SLI for some reason, and that's the main reason I've been waiting this long to get my next AW.

Does xfire do 3d out onto external displays (specifically a vizio TV)? Because that's the main reason I'm still sticking to nvidia at this point, but the cost difference for performance is becoming less and less appealing...

10. Ryan 23

Ryan 23 Notebook Evangelist

Both 485m SLI and 6970 Xfire should be able to play 3d externally, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work on a vizio tv.

11. Pion2099

Excellent!! Thanks a ton!

12. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

Unlike nVidia there's no official program for the 3D, however there are various drivers out there that should enable you to work 3D with XFire. iZ3D for example I believe is free to ATi customers and should work fine with the TV (I think...)

13. Pion2099

Yeah that's what concerns me, I'm all about poking and prodding and trying to figure it out until it works, but my skill level isn't quite that high enough to have confidence on this one since this is not a small purchase and neither was the tv. Last thing I want is to have several thousands worth of equipment sitting there unable to perform the function I got it for because they don't play well together...

I think I'm going to play it safe and go with nvidia this time around. Thanks for the info tho!

14. SaosinEngaged

SaosinEngaged Notebook Evangelist

So I'm really torn here with what to do.

I needed a new gaming laptop that is also at least semi portable. The past 6 months I've been using an Envy 14 with that incredibly epic Radiance display.

As of last month, I placed a preorder with XoticPC for an Asus G53SW with the 2630 and 460m, a 1080p 95% color gamut upgraded display, dual SSDs, etc. I made some key upgrades to make the machine less of a "mass market" machine.

Now, having found out about the Alienware revisions, I'm questioning my purchase. I'm not sure which way to go. I game on my lap in bed, don't ask me how or why, I mostly play MMO's and it's just comfortable for me. I chose the G53SW primarily because the cooling system will allow me to get away with that (rear firing, drawing in air from the front).

My eye immediately drew to the m14x, but the video card is a downgrade from the 460m. The laptop is generously more sexy, but it's still a downgrade.

The m17x R3 I fear might be a bit too large, even though it's a slimmed down R2. BTW, I had the R2 for about 8 months. In that time, I moved out of my house and into an apartment, so I have a lot less room and rely mostly on smaller gaming machines now, so most likely the m18x is out.

Really unsure of what to do, price isn't really an issue. I just want the best machine for my purposes.

R3 owners, does it still "feel" like a 17 inch desktop replacement?

15. HSN21

HSN21 Notebook Deity

I made this a while ago
    [​IMG]

Yes m17x R3 is actually smaller than G53 due lower height.
    It's only wider by 1cm which is less than half an inch

my old post http://forum.notebookreview.com/7078572-post666.html

16. tea_machine

tea_machine Newbie

Hey everyone,

I have been stalking NBR for years and finally decided to sign up at work.
    HSN21, thats crazy, but thanks for the comparison.

I was looking to get the m14x to upgrade from my C2D macbook pro (15). I mostly use maya, zbrush, and gaming. I dont need a crazy quadro card. my tower at home has a gtx 260 and runs all my 3d apps just fine.

anyway, i was going to get the m14x but now the m17x looks smaller now... i would also be carrying it 3 days a week to work .

Decisions ...

17. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

If you'd still be mostly gaming on the desktop then you'd definitely be better off with the M14x. Much smaller and significantly lighter, and the GT555M isn't far off the 460M in the M17x (although if you spec'd the M17x with a 6970M, it would be a LOT more powerful).

18. flybass

flybass Notebook Consultant

From my understanding the 555m isn't really in the same league as the 460m. You pick the optimus series mostly for portability. Check out notebookcheck benchmarks.

19. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR Asura

Problem is there really aren't many game benchmarks out there for it. If you look at the 3DMark11 GPU benchmarks, it's 1467 for the 555M, and 1639 on the 460M, it's not really a significant difference.

Of course, that depends on your own definition of 'significant'.

It all depends on exactly how much power you want, as well as how much portability you want. If you want more portability, you have to sacrifice (some) power, it's that simple (even if smaller notebooks are catching up to their bigger cousins).

20. tea_machine

tea_machine Newbie

Im just excited about potentially using a computer that has a good cooling system. I hear that alienware has great cooling/ hence why its a bit thicker. But its well worth it. Even when they are blowing out heat are they still fairly cool, heck even warm, to the touch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.