Alienware New Model Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by BatBoy, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HEUR

HEUR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I mean the specs for the machine that was with price, but like you said, maybe it wasn't showed...

2. chewietobbacca

chewietobbacca Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't think the price w/ specs was shown

But we do know the specs on the important stuff:
    M11xR3 - 2nd gen ULV processor - GT 540M
    M14x - 2nd gen Core i5/i7 processor - GT555M

3. vzachari

vzachari Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Excellent!!! Speculation on the M18x-r2 has started :D

4. HEUR

HEUR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just have to say that the gpu and cpu of the m18x-r2 were not invented yet!!!:D :D :D :D

5. ftlee20723

ftlee20723 Newbie

Reputations:
    Meaker - I don't understand what this means. What is scaling? The difference between a single 6970m and 485m is 5-10%. Are you saying it will be even less of a difference?

Frank

6. miahsoul

miahsoul Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    9 Cell vs. 12 Cell... idk, if CFX offers switchable, then we can expect 8 hours. :DDDDDDDDD

Suck on that Steve Jobs.

Overclocked to 4.0GHZ? Are we talking about a desktop processor here? Or a super clocked 2920xm....
    Ideas anyone? (Look at the pictures thread, clearly says that it offers cpus oc'd to 4 ghz)

7. nobodyshero

nobodyshero Notebook Speculator

Reputations:
    The M18x looks breathtaking. 18inches of pure power and a return to aluminum...

See sig ;)

8. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Before we get our hopes up, I think the 4 GHz might be just a single core OC of the 2920xm. In that case it's not a very large bump in speed and is more for marketing purposes. What we should all be counting on is Dell not locking down the 2920xm so that we can use ThrottleStop to raise the TDP. If we can do that, then M18x will be the performance champ of the notebook gaming world (even vs 980x in the x7200 despite less cores).

Just imagine: No lockbit on the 2920xm so we run that CPU at 4.0 GHz on ALL 4 cores, IGP for 5-6 hrs of battery life, 18.4" display with 80-90% NTSC gamut and 300 nit brightness, subwoofer, top notch cooling, alien fx + macro buttons, new sexy design, ALUMINUM/ALUMINIUM...drool. Clevo who?

9. AirJordan

AirJordan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm getting anxious for a release now. :D

10. Räy

Räy Guest

Reputations:
    The 2920xm is less powerful than a desktop 2600k which is equal to a 980x/990x so even with ThrottleStop I highly doubt you could best a desktop processor that also has unlocked multipliers. Sure in terms of gaming there is no difference between a 2920xm/960-990x/2600k but in terms of certain benchmarking there still is advantage to hex core processors in multi-threaded applications. Also unless you could disable both 6970s I doubt you could even reach 2 hours on just IGP and then seriously what is the point in owning a 18.4" just to watch movies on a plane? I'd like to see a nice 18.4" screen with a relatively high gamut but do they even exist at this point since Qosmio/x8100 are the only current 18.4" laptops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.