1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Alienware New Model Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by BatBoy, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatBoy

BatBoy NBR Community Moderator

Reputations:
    I know many of you are excited and anxious to see what exactly is the truth to these rumors and discussions floating around the net concerning two possible new models. I am as well.

We've had a couple of speculation threads in the past. Initially, I (along with the other moderators) opted to let these threads continue however each time, they spiraled into an off-topic free for all with considerable bickering and back and forth attacks among posters. NBR will not permit inflammatory posting or personal attacks. We received numerous post reports over these threads due to the bickering and attacking of members over their 'opinions' and this was the reason for doing away with speculation threads.

We are going to give this one more shot. Please make sure all images are not over 500x500 pixels. If they are, re-size or link to them. All non-english posts must contain an english translation. Please do respect the forum rules, they exist for a reason. Report any inappropriate posts please and a forum moderator will address it - do not engage in bickering.

With that said...

Welcome to the Alienware New Model Speculation Thread!

Thanks everyone and happy speculating... ;)

2. Steven

Steven God Amongst Mere Mortals

Reputations:
    First one in yay :D

I have a question however: Do you think battery life will be significantly improved over the M15X in the assumed M14X? Will performance be "dimmed down" in the M14X? Also, Thank you BatBoy for letting the speculations carry on.

3. msparrow88

msparrow88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hope the m14x is more like an m11x (light, long battery, can game) then be like an m15x.

I want some middle ground

4. KillerBunny

KillerBunny Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    m13x would be nice :( 14x is almost the same as 15x, still a brick

m18x that everyone seems to be holding out for is going to be a massive 15lb brick that costs 5k lol.

5. raynefall

raynefall Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    a 14x doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. they already have a 15 and an 11 I cant see a 14 unless one of the other 2 is going bye bye. The 18 I can understand as it will be a top of the pack machine with dual GPU's. but just my thoughts

6. Serephucus

Serephucus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally, I'm still hoping for a GTX 485M in the R3, as I really want Optimus more than any other feature in a gaming laptop*. Pitty there's no chance of that with the M18x, assuming of course that it will be dual GPU.

Main things I'm hoping for in the M18x:
    Aluminum chassis - a defining aspect of the M15/M17x, I hope to see it again.
    Excellent cooling - this is what made me choose AW over the other manufacturers.
    Backlit chicklet keyboard - IMO their current one looks a little dated.
    Subwoofer - I think such a high-end laptop should get a nice audio boost to round it out a little.
    Dual HDDs - a given really. Triple would be nice, but I don't see that happening, unless you count the optical drive bay.
    Matte screen option - would conflict with their design philosophy I know, but I'd personally love to see it.
    Decent LEDs that will actually produce white, and not the tinted crap as seen with the M15/17x.
    Dual GPUs - not so much for me from a starting point, but it's an excellent upgrade option down the line for those people that keep their machines for a long while.

* Why no-one has bothered to make a laptop with anything more than a 460 and Optimus is beyond me. Personally, I would think that the more powerful the dedicated GPU, the more sense Optimus makes, rather than this stupid approach of a hidiously crap IGP and a mildy crap dedicated card that all the manufactures seems to love at the moment.

7. granyte

granyte ATI+AMD -> DAAMIT

Reputations:
    that's great thanks for this thread

if only they could include switchable gfx in the m18x with cfx capacities that would be reall great

8. desu

desu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well if they used an very small sized motherboard with with a decent gpu they could make pretty small i think. something like the thickness of m11x but slightly longer wider to fit the screen in it.

9. andyroo

andyroo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  10. kosti

kosti Party on Dudes!

Reputations:
    So the black one must be the 18" model? At first I thought it was an M17x-R2 but then noticed the lid didn't have that plastic bezel. Looks like it's a soft-touch finish but no contours like the other models.

11. desu

desu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^yeah notice that too when link to a chinese site was posted(same pictures) in another thread. no one else seem to notice it. thread was closed before i could comment.

12. spradhan01

spradhan01 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Little update from dell posterous.
    GPU options:
    2x AMD 6970M (CrossFireX)
    2x NVIDIA GTX 460M (SLI)
    2x NVIDIA GTX 485M (SLI)

Will be available to order in Black or Red trim.

Update 2: It seems Dell has added a (more sane) 240W AC Adapter to the M18X, which is the same one used with the M17X R3.

Dell News and more - Filed under 'Alienware'

13. MSI_Veteran

MSI_Veteran Newbie

Reputations:
    eveyone the M18x is 100% real I have a friend who is a high up computer builder who has touched the first 18x prototype trust me I know with out a doubt it is a real system and will be in production shortly!!!!

14. AirJordan

AirJordan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If he has "touched" one, would he be able to confirm that whether it is aluminum or the soft touch plastic?

15. vads24

vads24 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    15x is terribly outdated and I dont understand why Dell is committing a sin by still selling it.

Why cant they release all the models at the same time when they are absolutely ready. Their business strategy with all these various models of the same category, being released at months apart just drives potential customers our of sheer speculation and waiting.

The competing brands are definitely having a better time frame and giving the buyers a time frame to make up their mind and prepare financially.

Dell somehow seems to think its pretty cool to keep the speculative spirit up and perhaps thinks Alienware wears some sort of engima. But that may several years ago. Other vendors are dishing out much better powerhouses compared to Alienware. Alienware is driven by name and atpical design rather than by actual hardware strength. It looks great, buys great, plays well...but if you were to analyse their ergonomics in terms of how sharp their corners are etc , it makes you think , which idiot decided to do the finishing touch.

We are all fans , but we must be sincere and be wisely critical rather than just being satisfied that it has an alienhead. Being the owner of an R2 I realise that their designers mentality is more into fashion than actual technological marvel. Technological marvel is Clevo or Sager etc. Not Alienware.

Notebook review has taught me very valuable lessons when it comes to choosing a computer be it for gaming or productivity. Alienware is said to be for gaming but its design etc totally goes against its actual capacity. The older gen. may understand the true nature of their older designs and hardware upgradability. It was truely UBer then. But its place has been take by others now.

Touting it the most powerful notebook in the world is really utterly ridiculous and blunt display of what they think of their fanboys

16. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Crap, I swore I would not give Dell anymore business after getting burned by their customer support three times, but if the speculations about the M14x is true, they're going to drag me right back in. Considering the M11x is already over four pounds, let's hope the M14x isn't over six pounds.

17. kingp1ng

kingp1ng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^ Excellent! Dual GPUs woohh!!!

I agree with the other people. Alienware needs a middle ground. Currently the M15x is in an "ERR" position because it's almost as heavy as the M17x (R3), weaker than the M17x, and gets less battery than the M17x.

Do you think that the "M14x" is going to have a gaming GPU (ex. GTX 460m) or a "performance" GPU (ex. AMD 6700-ish series)? I'm hoping for a gaming GPU with optimus so that I can use it on the go and then set up shop when I need the power.

18. raynefall

raynefall Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    there is no way the 240 ac adapter could handle the dual card options....

hmm maybe the 460 sli

19. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some of the 'tech sites are reporting either the Mobility Radeon HD 6730, 6770 or the Geforce GT 555M. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see a GTX 460M in a 14" chassis as much as the next guy, but on a realistic note I can't see a 14" notebook being able to dissipate that much heat unless it's about two inches think or drops the optical drive in favor of a dedicated GPU heatsink ala the TimelineX 3820TG.

20. msparrow88

msparrow88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They should drop the optical drive like the m11x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.