Alienware M18xR2 New/Updated BIOS Mods - NOW WITH MAXWELL LEGACY SUPPORT - Testers Needed

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Swick1981, Mar 12, 2016.

?

Do you like this m18xR2 Bios Mod I made (A11 Unlocked)

1. This BIOS Mod ROCKS!

2. It's good, but needs more work...

3. This thing sucks... :(

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinaris

Infinaris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dont usually drain the power from it I usually switch it off and then unplug the power after it shuts down. If it throttles I might give that boot from igfx from the bios route a try and see if that kicks it back into shape. Gonna leave windows 10 installed but with the legacy installation instead for the time being afink UEFI is twitchy at times and I wanna see how it performs long term on legacy mode.

Edit: Ran firestrike and got an overall score of 12400. Was like 10000ish with the throttling and the graphics score was like 18000+.

2. 82280zx

82280zx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Which vbios are you using? I've mainly been testing with the FFXIV benchmark and Catzilla, I keep gpu z up so I can watch for power throttles, they always used to hit in the same exact spots but so far no throttle, I'm using svl's vbios.

3. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally speaking I think single 980M is the way to go to completely rule out power delivery limitations, either PSU or mainboard related.

On a separate note, quick question, I'm currently running mis-matched 1600MHz memory and am interested in upgrading to 16GB 2133MHz memory, preferably quad channel (4x4) unless there is no performance gain to be had (my desktop, 2011 Socket, Ivy E i7 4930 saw a 500 point increase in CPU Firestrike simply going from dual to quad channel) with Sandy Bridge.

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I think it may be prudent to try an undervolted vBIOS to test to see if it is a power related issue.

5. Infinaris

Reputations:
    I've rebooted a few times now and still no throttling. Bout the only thing I've noticed so far is win10 repeatedly trying to install the intel HD4000 driver for some reason even tho im on the nvidia cards atm. Dunno whats causing that bug....

6. 82280zx

82280zx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Which vbios are you using? And have you installed any drivers etc from Dells website?

7. Infinaris

Reputations:
    Using Premas V2 Clevo vbios. I downloaded the intel HD4000 drivers of their website and installed them and disabled them from being installed on windows update. Went back to nvidia graphics and the trottling was back. :C However....

I just tried a similar thing on my own laptop. Switched to intel graphics again when the throttling was there. Switched back and rebooted to nvidia. 1st boot stalled so shut it off and on again. Put on FFXIV....... no throttling! :O

Looks like booting to intel and back to nvidia does something because I'm throttle free again. I wonder if a bad setting is being saved somewhere....

Currently sitting here with the laptop on my lap and the temps are very high at max settings on FFXIV in the pharos sirius area. Primary Card was topping at 84~85'C but not throttling even though it was hitting 99% GPU load. Voltage on the primary is 1.0680 secondary is 1.0620 Kinda dont want em burning THAT hot over a prolonged period of time as thats rather hot hot HOT! I actually installed HWinfo after that and manually set the fans to max. Think the default tables dont kick in at max fanspeed even when the cards were hitting those tempretures! D:

Currently running at the max settings on FFXI again but with the fans manually set to max power tempretures are steady in the upper 70's on both cards.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  8. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
    Question, what's the difference between switching in bios and switching in windows with Fn+F7?

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    there is no difference. If you have 2 MXM slots occupied for CF/SLI, then the FN + F7 will alternate between IGFX and PEG graphics. If you have only 1 MXM slot occupied, FN + F7 will alternate between SG and PEG.

10. 82280zx

82280zx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sweet good to know, if I run into this I'll try this and see if it resolves it :D so far so good on mine, I have yet to unplug it and let it rest much yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.