Alienware m18xr2 gtx980m help

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by NODicce, Jan 31, 2018.

1. NODicce

NODicce Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Prema @j95 @Mr. Fox sorry for calling you guys out but from what I've herd and read you guys are the ones I need to talk to. Anyone else that's willing to help I would really appreciate this also.

So first off I have windows 7 on a alienware m18xr2 and recently installed a gtx980m with the a11 unlocked bios. Running Mr fox 345.20 drivers. And everything is running somewhat smoothly. But I am unable to run any other driver or upgrade my drivers at all or when I start up it loads just past windows boot and screen goes black and flashes colours once in awhile. I can hear the windows boot up screen and even log in.

When I try to upgrade drivers I've used newer modded and nvidia ones that are supposed to support my m18x

When I install I use and follow @j95 instructions. And tried latest driver on the premateam website. Do I require prema vbios? I have the stock vbios atm it says
    DELL 84.04.2f.06.39
    Have I not set up my a11 unlocked bios properly? Not really sure what else to do. Any help would be appreciated.
    If more info is needed ask I can send what ever is needed

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hi Bro. I have not owned an Alienware for like 2 years now, so I do not know what currently works for drivers and what does not. 980M has many unresolved issues in the M18xR2 relating to UEFI/GOP and LVDS, and that was one of the reasons I decided to abandon/sell them and move to Clevo. @Raidriar might be able to provide some guidance, but I do not want to provide any wrong or misleading information to you.

3. NODicce

Reputations:
    Hey thanks for the reply @Mr. Fox a lot of the threads I was reading were fairly old but you guys seemed to be the ones doing a lot of the legwork that I saw. Hope I can figure it out. If not I can stick with the old drivers I got from one of your old threads for now.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You're welcome. I am hoping @Raidriar can provide more current information for you. If you are not much on gaming, using those antique drivers is totally fine. But, they might not work well with newer games. I wish you the best with your investigation.

5. NODicce

Reputations:
    Yeah @Mr. Fox I do use it for gaming somewhat. That was the main reason I upgraded to a 980m from my old 660m. I was reading on a bunch of @j95 driver mods that they require @Prema v2 vbios for newer drivers. I don't suppose you know where to possibly get any of those. Or happen to know your last setup before you decidea to move on.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I don't remember any specifics of the 980M vBIOS as related to the M18xR2. I only remember that the Alienware 18 had a special @Prema master/slave vBIOS mod that has something to do with the fans. But, I am pretty sure that @Raidriar or @KKthebeast might be able to provide more current information for you.

7. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    It should work and have a picture with stock vBIOS (just throttle a lot).

Edit: I haven't seen version 84.04.2F.06.39, maybe make a backup for us to see what MXM board you got there.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. There is no need to mod INF any longer, strangely enough NVIDIA added support for the M18x R2 natively.

2. The Dell VBIOS will throttle like crazy, use a Clevo vBIOS or @Prema vBIOS. Only the Alienware 18 needs to have the Dell vBIOS.

For preliminary testing, I would boot into safe mode, run DDU, and install the latest driver from nvidia’s website. If you continue to have black screens whenever you reach the login screen, it’s more likely to be a hardware fault. An incompatible vBIOS would typically cause no POST, messed up colors on the BIOS screen, or severe throttling, or a combination. If your colors look fine in the BIOS, and with fresh drivers you can’t boot into windows normally, there is some fault in the hardware as windows tried to initialize hardware accelerated graphics, but it results in a black screen either due to die damage on the core, or a power MOSFET shorted out that cannot supply the right power needs to the core.

Prema likes this.
  9. NODicce

Reputations:

10. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Then use DDU to wipe everything and install the latest drivers from nvidia's website. throttling can be fixed by booting to the BIOS, switching to the iGFX, getting into windows, shutting down, then switching into PEG again.