Alienware M18xR1 volume buttons not working

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by kattykong13, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kattykong13

kattykong13 Newbie

Reputations:
    I switched on my laptop today to find that my volume buttons were not working. I am sure they were working yesterday, but don't work any more. The only buttons affected are the volume controls (Up, down, mute) and the Alienware Command Centre. No OSD comes up when i press them either, and i cannot find the OSD drivers to download. Any help would be appreciated, because having to alt-tab and manually change the volume is getting annoying. I have rebooted my computer, that did nothing.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Overclocked | Overvolted Moderator

Reputations:
    You can log into Dell Support and see all the drivers for your service tag. OSD is located in the menu labeled "Applications" along with Alienware Command Center. Below is a link to download OSD for your M18x R1.

Drivers and Downloads | Dell [United States]

3. megafire455

megafire455 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Gee that is rather strange. It will not hurt to follow the advise to log into Dell Support and update all your drivers.

4. kattykong13

kattykong13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Updated the OSD drivers, which has made no effect at all. I think it is something to do with the OSD though, as only the buttons which open an OSD don't work. Should there be a "OSD.exe", or something like it, open in proccesses?? If there should be, it isn't opening.

5. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    No there shouldn't, maybe you should try a system restore to a date when the issue was not present.

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You could be having an issue with .NET 4.0 framework. Alienware Command Center, AlienFX and OSD (if I am not mistaken) all require an error-free .NET 4.0 installation. It is possible a Windows Update corrupted something and you should do as Brother Luis suggested and try a system restore to a date before the problem began.

I recently had a Windows Update totally bugger up my system and it was causing some hard freezes with my 7970M CrossFire setup.

7. kattykong13

kattykong13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the help guys, I turned my laptop off for the night, and I boot it up in the morning and the buttons all work, and an OSD shows up. I'm not sure how that fixed it, but it did. Thanks for the help!

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Cool. Glad it's sorted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.