Alienware M18xR1/R2/18 External Monitor Discussion Thread - Ask Questions/Find Solutions Here

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by MTXR, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sticky

sticky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, have an M18X here and have considered buying a desktop as I want a triple 30 inch 2560x1920 setup but the M18x can't support it. Can the new M18 do it?

2. killaz05

killaz05 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You will need to invest in the Matix TripleHead2Go in order to do what you want. The M18 having the power to run games smoothly on that setup, I don't know. If it has problems then to get any better it would have to be one serious desktop to take its place. The 780m SLI is near a GTX titan performance wise from what I have come to understand.

3. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    You need a separate input for each monitor, splitter not going to cut it.

4. Rustysfunhouse

Rustysfunhouse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So i've been using my asus 23" led as a secondary display for a couple weeks now and it works great. Problem is that i bought 2 so that i could have a 3 display setup and i cant seem to get that to work. I've been using vga, and hadn't gotten around to trying the hdmi, vga works fine but as soon as i connect the hdmi to either monitor i just get a black screen. I can connect my m18x to my lcd tv no problem, so im just curious why im having this issue with my asus displays. helpful solutions?

5. homank76

homank76 Alienware/Dell Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Depends what video cards your using. Nvidia can only power two screens at once while AMD can do all three. I have Nvidia and have a 27" and 24" hooked up, one via HDMI and the other display port.

6. Irakandji

Irakandji Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have nVidia 680m sli. I can use the notebook display and 2 ASUS monitors in windows. One on HDMI and the other on displayport. Alas nVidia Surround is not supported on the 680m.

7. Rustysfunhouse

Rustysfunhouse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How exactly did you set that up? I hate 680sli as well and two ASUS monitors, but only the vga and the other using hdmi, but nothing will show up? did your monitor respond right when you plugged it up, or did you have to change something?

8. homank76

homank76 Alienware/Dell Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you right clicked on the desktop and bring up screen resolution? In there you'll see all the monitors and have to play with the settings of them all.

9. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    Try setting it up with the display port and hdmi.

10. Irakandji

Irakandji Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes you plug them in using HDMI to HDMI on one monitor. I use displayport to displayport on the second monitor if it is ASUS, when I use my TV I use a displayport to HDMI cable.

Once they are plugged in, you go into nVidia control panel and set the system up however you like. I use extend desktop. It is up to you what you want to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.