Alienware M18x: Should I Go for the Extended Warranty?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by DeeDoubleU, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H4kiiM

H4kiiM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seriously man, I've never really thought of doing that. THANK YOU!!! You might have just saved my spiritual life. Damn, I've got to be quick though.

2. AshBorn

AshBorn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Am I the only one who would be okay with them having my BMW for 6 months without giving me a rental, if they replaced my BMW and let me keep the old one?

6 month wait for a brand new BMW while still keeping my not so old still under warranty BMW.

Ummm... Win?

They let you keep your old alienware? Man I hope my breaks down in the warranty period. They can have the thing for 6 months if I get a brand new one, and I get to keep my old one! I'll kindly pocket that free two grand...

3. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Exactly. If every "cloud" had a "silver lining" like that, I think a lot of us would be quite chuffed. A free M18x as a "spare", if you like, is not something to be sniffed at. Heck, even if the replacement machine was not quite as highly spec'd up as the original, you can still cash in big time with the old machine......

My only word of caution would be that selling something that technically does not belong to you anymore (as in "REPLACEment") could leave you up the creek without a paddle if that machine was ever requested back.

4. jiggymf

jiggymf Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. cmacclel

cmacclel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dell just called me and offered a year for $159

6. macdaddy8000

macdaddy8000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have just extended for 2 years and i paid 526 USD for it.

7. MrProdigy

MrProdigy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but how many years of warranty would you say is reasonable? I currently have 3 years of warranty, and an additional 2 years (maximum duration 5 years) would cost me about $400. Would you say this is worth it?

8. doublee

doublee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I say 3 is the sweet number. My M17xR2 lasted me 2 years and 10 months until it broke early this month. Look what Dell is replacing it with in my signature. Honestly, when it comes down to warranty, Dell is significantly better than any other companies. Also, when people say it took them 3-6 months for their laptop to be replaced, they are doing something wrong. Dell replaced mine within 3 weeks (after 2 technicians and 1 trip to depot). Just be firm but polite to the technicians and representatives and most likely they are willing to help you out the best way they can. Once my new replacement comes through, I'm going to extend the warranty 3 more years again. Parts aren't cheap you know!

9. trooper1414

trooper1414 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just needed some advice for people like me who couldn't purchase the extended warranty at the time of purchase but need to purchase one nite before the year runs out ...any advice on how many years and what would be a reasonable cost/price ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

10. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not sure on the costings, but the one thing I would say is get as much as you can afford. If that's 2yrs or 4yrs, go for the maximum you can get within your budget. I'm sure you would be able to haggle the price a little bit if you go for the costlier/longer options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.