Alienware M18x R2 with 980m - Possible throttling fix

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by jerryzago, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    Would it be possible to dropbox the modified driver for me ?

2. jerryzago

jerryzago Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Download the driver from j95 over at techinferno, DDU your previous one and enter windows selectinf the disable driver sighning.

Before running the installer, run an elevated command prompt as admin and run the two following commands

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

I did that and installed just fine on me

3. Infinaris

Infinaris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Only problem I'm having atm is windows keeps corrupting on me after a few days forcing me to reinstall a backup image. Dunno if the system just doesnt like alternating between the 2 gfx cos its getting really irritating. Always had this issue with it that the os would not stay free of corruption for whatever reason.

4. jerryzago

Reputations:
    That is weird. Possible an application that doesn't close properly and reports an error during boot, tells windows that there is a problem.

I had many of these on windows 8.1. I just choosed the option to restart my pc and it booted fine. Two or three days later, It failed to boot again, but it managed to last 4 months without restore or any form of fixing.

5. Infinaris

Reputations:
    Its been an annoying issue as far as I'm concerned on my own laptop. I dont know what the cause could be I've used /sfc scannow on a fresh install and it will show errors that cannot be fixed. Laptop will work fine for a while but then I get odd errors or the os wont work. Other day it was giving a critical process died error forcing me to restore from the image backup and yesterday It wouldnt let me select where to save files in firefox and the Alien FX would show errors. Tried sys restore and only ended up with critical process died again forcing yet another restore from backup image.

Really dont know where the problem could be unless the hardware on my laptop is just getting worn out. Funny thing is I restore from the backup image and it works perfectly fine.

6. jerryzago

Reputations:
    Possible a hard drive may corrupt files. Run an SMART test and look results. Try speedfan than runs tests and compares them online giving suggestions. A low level format to the harddrive that has the OS will help. If you have a raid array, all drives might need that.

Maybe it could be a ram problem. When an error comes up, boot again using only one dimm and see if this helps.

Lastly an antivirus that isn't windows 10 compatible and 'attacks' system files.

Norrow down to what causes file corruption.

7. Infinaris

Reputations:
    The SSD is rather new its a msata evo 850. I seriously doubt it could be that. Ram might be an issue but I'm not sure. I dont use raid tho all drives are standalone.

AV is kaspersky never had issues with it.

8. jerryzago

Reputations:
    A small update. It seems it is not needed to boot windows when switching from PEG to IGFX.

Just let it reboot and enter bios to change again fron IGFX to PEG and you could still be throttle free.

Perhaps an idea would be to mod the bios to always boot from IGFX when the system shutdowns. And when we turn it on, we can select the PEG manually and be throttle free.

I am trying to find if a certain app or cmd runtime can reset the GPU (like soft reset) in a way AMD makes the VPU recover. I will get to it when I have the time.

9. 82280zx

82280zx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Look for hdtune to check your drive, could be a bad connection or like jerry says possible bad memory? I'd run a mem test and a hdd test to see which ones giving you fits, mines been running good (knock on wood) I'm considering picking up my second 980 in the next couple of months.

10. 82280zx

82280zx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I should of updated this but this works as well :) , are any of you running sli and tested this fix to see if it works with both cards as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.