Alienware M18x R2 with 980m - Possible throttling fix

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by jerryzago, May 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryzago

jerryzago Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    After several tests on my single gpu M18x R2 and @Infinaris SLI setup, we have come to a workaround for the throttling problem occuring with the 980m. I am not sure if this can help 780m SLI or 880m SLI systems, but they are welcome to try.

Do the following and post results.

An unlocked BIOS is needed and one can be found from here or here
    Also I would suggest flashing Premas vBios from here

1) Power up (or reboot) and keep pressing F2 to enter BIOS
    2) From the Advanced menu and Video Configuration, select as primary the IGFX
    3) Save and exit and boot to windows.
    4) Wait till all your aplications are loaded and reboot
    5) Press F2 to enter BIOS again.
    6) From the video configuration select PEG
    7) Save and exit and boot to windows.
    8) Benchmark your system to see if it throttles.

Use an OSD software like Riva Tuner Statistics Server and HWINFO and benchamrk with 3D mark11

Keep an eye on clocks and utilization. Clocks should be maxed and utilization should be above 97% (except the physics test).

When in throttle free mode, rebooting doesn't bring back throttling so you can safely switch drivers to any version you like.

Sleeping doesn't seem to bring back throttling, but vanishes Soundblaster Recon 3di for those that has this particular problem! Another sleep and awake might bring back the SB!

My system is:
    mysystem.jpg
    GTX 980m from @woodzstack here
    Premas Clevo V2 Bios from here
    Swicks modded bios from here
    Aftermarket drivers from @j95 from here version 365,10

If installation fails to install 365.10 then try the following
    DDU your previous installation in safe mode.
    Reboot with Digital Driver signing off
    Ran a command prompt with administrator rights
    Use the following commands

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Exit and run installer

I hope I didn't forget to mention anything, please let me know if I did :D

Post your findings and ideas and maybe we can find a permanent solution to this problem.

UPDATE 31/8/2016

I am not sure if it is the drivers since v369 but you can also try this "setting".

From inside the "Advanced menu" and "Video configuration" a line below the GFX select, states the ""Pci express graphic".. Inside select the value for the PCIE reset delay to "300ms".

After this setting. throttling does exist but only downclocks the GPU core to 1036MHz and not below that. The clock fluctuates beetween 1127 and 1036. Tesed with prema V2 public and dell vBios.

GPUz states pwr as throttling, but performace is not affected.

3D mark is above 11k even with cold boot.
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11540027

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    MZWiZard, Kade Storm, kenny27 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    I do noticed a difference on the 3Dmark11 scores. My system:

rig.JPG

Only difference is that I have Clevo's VBIOS and Driver 352.80

I think you are on to something @jerryzago .

3. SniperTNT

SniperTNT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This fix appears to work for now. I will test it further and see what happens.
    So far in all games that I've tested, I get higher fps and no throttling after doing the switching.

specs.jpg

This issue has been so irritating as of late but now I feel that it has been fixed.
    Thanks by the way! I would have never found those unlocked bios files if it weren't for this post!

4. JAY8387

JAY8387 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    posted in wrong thread while reading two

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  5. jerryzago

Reputations:
    People who said a clean install of windows helped them with throttling, actually didi the switch from igfx to peg to install drivers.

I assume first they install intel HD drivers and then nvidia and then benchmarked the system. So it wasn't a clean install after all :p

I also tested dells vbios. It doesn't throttle, but clock fluctuates keeps rising slowly between 1036 and 1126 mhz and gives a lower benchmark.

I believe this is the normal boost technology. It ups the clock when utilization is constantly 99% till maximun is reached. Also runs cooller since voltage is from 1,000 to 1,052.

Prema has disable it and give better performance with clocks at max boost and voltage constantly at max.

Anyone tried 365.10 driver? Mine fails during install. I disable driver singning but I never get the 'install driver on your own risk' screen.

6. SniperTNT

Reputations:
    365.10 works perfectly for me on windows 10.

If you have windows 10, you have to disable integrity checks and enable testsigning in order to install this driver.

To do so, open command prompt as an administrator, then type the following;

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Now try running the nvidia driver installer.

jerryzago likes this.
  7. jerryzago

Reputations:
    I didn't knew that drivers signing and the above commands were needed at the same time. Installed just fine and throttle free!

8. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    i have trouble installing the driver. what is the process of making it work ?

9. SniperTNT

Reputations:
    What error message are you receiving?

If the driver installer can't find compatible hardware, then you will need to do the inf mod to the driver, which is fairly simple.

10. Infinaris

Infinaris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Usually I just get the modded inf from j95 off techinferno and after a DDU i reboot with the no 7 option of disabled driver signatures and install just fine. Does ask to manually allow the driver install during installation tho.

The only thing I dont like about windows 10 atm is I always have corrupted files with a sfc /scannow even with a clean install and on the rare occasion I get a corrupted start that forces me to use system restore or restore from a backup image.

Regardless the only thing that seems to fix the bloody throttling atm is to flip to igfx and back to peg to get a proper boot. Otherwise it throttles when pushed beyond a certain point. The only question that needs to be solved is why its throttling on cold boot and whats the setting thats being incorrectly applied?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.